Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Oreo Has Diabetes

Discussion in 'Cat Nutrition' started by ginny, Apr 21, 2017.

1. ginny

ginny Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 21, 2012
    Here's one, I had just put his E-collar on and he said no thank you! I sat by and watched him carefully for a long while to see if he might try to lick his incisions, and besides trying to get up and move around, he just sat there staring into space. Spaced out on drugs. Bless him.

You can see his shaved left hip.

Attached Files:

Mamanyt1953 and margd purraised this.

2. JamesCalifornia

JamesCalifornia TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 1, 2016
    Los Angeles
    ~ Whatever happens Oreo is a pampered cat ! :catman:` That's likely why he found you and not somebody else.
    These little friends of ours get a good life with us "cat crazy" owners - no matter short or long . They always take over a space in our heart . I think that's a good thing ... for them and for us .
    Best wishes to both of you ...:catlove:
    ~~

Mamanyt1953, margd and ginny purraised this.

3. margd

margd Chula and Paul's roommate Veteran

Feb 24, 2015
    Maryland USA
    Sending kisses to our boy. :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump: Get ready Oreo, your auntie Margaret is about to virtually plant a big one on you.

animated-kiss-image-0026.gif

I hope he's doing better today than yesterday and will do better tomorrow than today!:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

ginny and Mamanyt1953 purraised this.

4. Mamanyt1953

Mamanyt1953 Rules my home with an iron paw Staff Member Forum Helper

Oct 16, 2015
    Havelock, North Carolina
    [​IMG]

Lot of love from Aunty Bek

ginny purraised this.

5. ginny

Apr 21, 2012
    He's about the same today. I've served him breakfast, and lunch so far under my bed and he's immediately shown interest and began eating and ate well. His pain med is due now. One more day of this pain med is all he gets. But I have leftover buprenorphine from his biopsy a few weeks ago. I couldn't really tell that did much good at all. It's as thin as water and kind of tastes like it too. Does anyone know what it's supposed to taste like? (Yes I do taste their meds to see what kind of nastiness I am giving them. I do NOT taste their food though.) It looks the same as what they gave me when Gracie was dying. It's very thin, absorbed through the cheek and gum.

6. ginny

Apr 21, 2012
    Thank you and you are right about him being pampered. I shudder to think what his fate would have been had I just left them outside for my cat-hating neighbors and AC to deal with.

margd purraised this.

7. ginny

Apr 21, 2012
    Oreo would resist, just like he does when I try to kiss his head :( Oh well! I appreciate it, even if he doesn't, lol. Kitties are funny.

margd purraised this.

8. ginny

Apr 21, 2012

Thank you! I totally agree. I hope this surgery is curative. The referral vet did not give me much hope though even though NCState suggested amputation. (They also suggested chemo to make doubly sure all the cancer was removed.) There were no other lesions noted on xray and no lymph nodes involved. But the referral vet said lymph nodes are not always involved and that this cancer Oreo has is aggressive :( The vet who did the surgery took a film the other day prior to the amputation and compared it to the one he took several weeks ago. He says he couldn't not see any difference in the two films. Time will tell.

Mamanyt1953 and margd purraised this.

9. Mamanyt1953

Oct 16, 2015
    Havelock, North Carolina
    You have given him the best shot you possibly could. Can't ask for more than that. Well, we can, and surely will, ask for miracles, but YOUR part was well done, indeed.

ginny purraised this.

10. ginny

Apr 21, 2012
    Oreo is starting to get a little more steady on his 3 legs than he was. Since his post op meds are all worn off now, I'm giving him Buprenorphine twice a day and Onsior daily. I caught him licking the incision this morning so I had to put the cone of shame back on him. With opioids on board, it makes it easier for him to tolerate it. I take it off so he can eat, on then it goes right back on. In the pic below, he's in my closet.

Attached Files:

Kefa purraised this.

11. Mamanyt1953

Oct 16, 2015
    Havelock, North Carolina
    Bless his furry little heart. I'm glad he's finding his balance again.