Oreo Has Calici Virus! Please advice!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted a thread before about this kitty we rescued off the street, and today my husband brought him to the vet.

Turned out Oreo has CALICI VIRUS! Please can anyone tell me how serious is this as I have other cats that I cannot believe I have exposed to this virus! Oreo was allowed free access to the house and even my Graham was trying to play with him this morning! I am tempted to return him back outside but he has already laid on the sofa, on the cat beds, used the litter boxes etc, and thus have exposed my other indoor cats to this dreaded virus! I am in panic and would like to rush back to the flat to wash everything!

My cats have up to date Tri-cat vaccines. Will it help them be more protected from the virus?
Oreo also has earmites aside from Calici Virus!

Oh God...

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your other cats are adults and vaccinated, then the risk of them getting it is very low, I’d relax. Calicivirus is not that horrible, apparently there is one strain that is difficult to treat, but if your kitten doesn’t seem too sick, I wouldn’t worry.
You’d probably need to treat all of them for ear mites, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
If your other cats are adults and vaccinated, then the risk of them getting it is very low, I’d relax. Calicivirus is not that horrible, apparently there is one strain that is difficult to treat, but if your kitten doesn’t seem too sick, I wouldn’t worry.
You’d probably need to treat all of them for ear mites, though.

I worry most about my youngest, Graham - approx same age as Oreo, only 7 months. Graham has also been vaccinated but she is still young and I am afraid she'd be the most vulnerable. I read somewhere that Calici Virus is a nasty one. I am so tempted to bring Oreo back outside, but it may be a death sentence for him if I do so.

But my cats....:(

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worry most about my youngest, Graham - approx same age as Oreo, only 7 months. Graham has also been vaccinated but she is still young and I am afraid she'd be the most vulnerable. I read somewhere that Calici Virus is a nasty one. I am so tempted to bring Oreo back outside, but it may be a death sentence for him if I do so.

But my cats....:(
Graham will be fine even if she gets infected if she’s vaccinated, maybe she’ll sneeze once or twice.
Calicivirus can be nasty but mostly for small kittens (mine is calici survivor), yours are big enough to fight the virus. I’d just keep Oreo separated for now. what are his symptoms? If you haven’t noticed he’s really bad, he will be fine too. I’d call the vet and ask about other cats, I’m sure he/she help you to relax.