Orange Tabby personality?

andre cappon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would confirm what you just said.
I also had a wonderful orange white tabby, a former stray I rescued on Roosevelt Island.
Best cat I ever had!

el54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I now have a black and white kitten and she's crazy. It's taken me a long time to adjust to her, she is just the opposite of my orange and white cat. She bites and hisses when I clip her, she doesn't listen, (and, yes, I do believe you can train a cat to understand what you're saying). She was only 2 months when I brought home. Is was like having a newborn in the house again. Our vet was not happy when he learned that she was spayed under 2 months old, he said it could cause complications with her growing organs. We'll see, she's 17 months old now, so far so good health wise. She certainly keeps the household lively.

mykfyll420

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just buried my 13 year old female. She took right to me from the beginning and would only listen to me and sometimes my mom. She was my everything. I miss her so much. R.I.P. Squeekie

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seems like I have the only 3 not super sweet orange tabbies! 

Chase - female orange tabby. She's nuts. Absolutely insane, growls & hisses at everyone, but loves my dad. She was declawed by a previous owner, so that likely changed her disposition. But we still love her

Bruno - male orange tabby. He's a really big boy and sweet, but so scared of his own shadow its nuts. He can also play a bit aggressive. But he does like to cuddle. So the most sweet of the bunch.

Rocky - male orange tabby. Runt of the litter, but dominant. He has become a bit of a bully to his brother bruno & never been the cuddler. But he has a particular affection for me & will follow me around for petting. So sweet in that way, but he's a menace to the rest! Also, he tears our apartment up. 

Top left - Bruno. Middle left - Chase. Middle right - Rocky

spoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this is very late to this topic.  but, my first orange cat soul mate was a huge polydactyl  with a stub tail.  He had be EXTREMELY ABUSED.  He was in the shelter I volunteer at.  Everyone hated him, and, he hated everyone.  But, for some reason for me--it was pure love.  He would crawl up on my lap, and............yes he was a hugger.   We got home and he definitely was nice to everyone, but, noticeable who's person belonged to him.  Occasionally tho, I would see my friends slowly moving away from while we were on the couch watching t.v.   I'd say what's wrong, and, the person would say:  "that cat looks like he is going to come after me."  The cat happened to be snuggled near my thigh.   Or, someone would come in, immediately stop, and ask:  "is that cat going to bite me he's looking at me funny."   He never went at anybody at my house, but, people did tiptoe around him.  So, there can be very moody (attack cat) orange cats.  He died of leukemia about 6 weeks ago.  He was 6 and1/2.  My heart is broken. But as I said he was abused, let outside, no vet care, yada, yada, yada..

I adopted a 2nd orange tabby from the shelter about a month later.  He loved to play, never scratched the furniture, loved his scratch pole and his igloo bed, the couch, my bed and would rub up against. me.  BUT, god help you if you tried to pet him.  He went all attack cat.  Still have marks on my arm.  He is now living on a goat farm in the barn.  By night he has his own crate made up for him, and, by day he's a goat wrangler.  Very happy ending. 

But, there are "bad" orange boy cats.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't 'own' any ginger cats, but I have a 'red' feral that I have cared for for 7 years now, and now an orange female from across the street has moved in. She left two BEAUTIFUL half grown long haired dark orange kittens over there (but of course they come over twice a day to eat) and they are all the friendliest cats I have seen, they beg for attention.

arthursmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little boy is orange and white, and he is an absolute sweetheart. His vet commented that he has the typical orange cat personality. He's sweet with everyone but saves his real love for me. He's always been very attached to me, even comforting me when I'm sick. His sister, a calico, is sweet and cuddly...when she so chooses. She can also be a little brat and is very mouthy. As calicoes go, she's more entertaining than difficult, but definitely still in that range. She was the dominant one when they were tiny, but when he realized he was bigger than her that changed. Sweet or not, I still find him sitting on her head at least a few times a week.

sandra and zena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to the site and am so glad to find this place. I read every post on this thread and find it very interesting. Growing up my family adopted a stray light yellow tabby who was very timid but loving. Then one day an orange long haired tabby literally just walked in the door-and stayed! He was so laid back and loving. Both cats got along fine after a bit and both slept with me, mom, and my sisters.

Just 2 days ago I went to the humane society to adopt a  5 yr old long haired female who had been there quite a while. I had been wanting another cat, her in particular, and my husband finally relented. She had already been adopted when I got there and I wasn't leaving without a kitty! The first cage I came to had a little orange tabby who started meowing loudly and running after me as far as she could. When my sister and I took her out, she just laid in our arms purring like mad. I looked at other cats and had a hard time deciding as they were all very sweet and pretty but in the end I chose the one with the most loving personality and I believe the one who chose me. You guessed it, the little orange tabby.   I have a very hard time prying her off me, she's either in my arms or on my chest or playing. She's perfect for me as I retired from home child care and our lab Sammie died 2 months ago. The house was so lonely! I believe God hand picked her for me. She loves my husband too and everybody else she meets. She's just a little skittish of noises right now. She's 10 months old and I don't know what her background is but she will have a long happy life with us.

lucentstreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about stereotypes but as you can see - I belong to one orange tabby by the name of Hugo. He is about one year old and though slightly high strung but a true lovebug. He sleeps with me and occasionally kicks me out of bed. However,  I do have to say that prior to neutering, he was known as Freddie Kruegar for mauling my hands.

It's hard to think of my home without him these days.

luvsmykitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with the "tortie" attitude!!!  My mother-in-law LOVES her kitties to pieces, but the one Calico Rose that she used to have was a not-so-nice cat ~ and that was what my mother-in-law used to say about her!!!!  My orange & white boy that my sons brought home a few months ago was an outside cat at some point (I think about a month) and we adopted him when he was around 5 months old ~ he's been very shy and jumps at every sound or movement!!!  He is the sweetest little guy EVER!!!  When he first came home to us, he wouldn't come out from under the furniture, but you could hear him purring like you would not believe from under there!!!  lol

grendel2009

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was told that once you own a orange cat they are addictive. It depends on what breed the orange cat is. Is it a Maine Coon or an American Shorthair?

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The super sweet, male, orange tabby theory is proving true for me again! We took in another adult stray and he is extra lovey and cuddly. Even though we haven't gotten him in for a neuter yet, he is super mellow and adjusted to being an indoor Kitty of Leisure in no time.
Leo the Dude spends his days napping in various spots around the house and his evenings napping on either my lap or my husband's lap. He is really mellow, lol! In between naps, he likes kisses on his head, snacks, being brushed, being complimented, ear rubs, and giving head butts. I am in love with this little guy.
Our other orange male tabby, Sammy the Dude (my avatar pic), passed away last winter and it feels like Leo is a little bit of Sammy reincarnated. I have no doubt that he was meant to be with us.

Leo lounging on the back of the recliner.
I haven't managed any good, crisp photos of him yet. He doesn't like the big old iPad in his face and scrunches his eyes up every time. Or he'll give the one-eyed pirate wink and look either grumpy or drunk! :lol3: His nose has the cutest black speckles on it. :heart2:

Last edited:

todd victorson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my orange tabby(male) since he was a kitten- he is 12 at this point.

He is without a doubt the sweetest cat I have ever seen. He defies virtually every stereotype about cats(that they're aloof, not affectionate, etc)

He LOVES attention, follows me everywhere, and sleeps beside me every night, usually with his head on the pillow beside mine.

I looked at a LOT of cats before adopting him. There were some I liked, but I fell in love with him at first sight.

Honestly, I can't even imagine owning any other breed.

Even people who tell me they don't like cats are usually down on the floor playing with him the second they meet him.

amber85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Charlie is vary sweet and loving. He loves people and his doggie sissters. He is blind and still fearless and confident.

Note: sorry for spelling errors I'm on my phone.

vallhalla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like I am very late to the party..I just now came across this thread!

I will add my 2 cents here,anyway,and tell you all a long story..

I have 2 orange tabbies,Rico "the Dude",and Curious George.

Both these guys were feral cats from a large feral population in my neighborhood.

Personally,I have always been a dog owner,a "dog person",and my wife was the "cat person".

There have always been cats in the house,but I never "bonded" with any of them..they were nice,I liked them,but..well..I had my dogs.

Feral cats began showing up on our deck,and  I became used to feeding the poor things,but I was really not having any luck getting any of them inside ( I just didnt know what I was doing at the time).

Long story short..I had 2 dogs,and first one passed away,then my best buddy,Mojo passed away..It was a very,very bad time for me..not only had i lost my dog,I had also lost my job!

At this time,there was a entire litter of feral kittens coming and going on our deck,3 blacks,and 2 oranges.

None of the kittens would ever let me get near,or catch them,but I looked forward to seeing them.

At my very lowest point,missing my dogs,depressed,and stressed out...one of the little orange kittens walked right in the door one day,while I was putting out food!

That was my buddy,Curious George!

The little guy huddled under the kitchen table,and the big,burly human male crawled under the table,amazed,and smitten!

After only a short time,I was able to creep up,and touch the little orange,and then pet him!

I named him Curious George on the spot.

He was a wild kitten,and took over the house in short order-we had other cats,and they all let me know that George was the boss..I have never seen such cat behavior..the other cats would "bow",lowering their heads to George,and he would give them a lick on the head,and then walk away!

George was my pal from day one..a loving,purring,wonderful cat..he means the world to me!

The other kittens,i could not coax,or trap..they were too smart for me,but I had George.

The other kittens left the protection of our deck,and one by one,they never came back.

Months later,Georges orange Brother came back onto our deck..sick,bony,and who knows what he had gone through?

I need to mention that George sat by the window day in,and day out,talking,looking for his litter-mates.

We got Georges brother inside,and he was Named Rico by the kids..he got healthy,but has never been tamed..he cant be touched,or petted,but I think he is happy,and will never trust humans,because of whatever he went through when he was on his own.

Rico is cool...he is "the Dude"..mellow,very good with the other cats,and I think he is a sweet cat,that has a zen-like presence,and a look that says to me "Yeah,i been there,done that...Im cool..".

I have had both boys for 6 years now,along with other rescue cats,but Curious George is the most intelligent,sweetest cat I have ever seen..he always makes me smile,he is always there,he sleeps in our bed,and is,I confess,my favorite..

Do yourself a favor,and get an orange!

You wont be sorry!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Vallhalla, What a wonderful story! I miss my guy every day!
We'd love to see some pictures. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know.  We love our orange girl to death and it is obvious that she loves us (follows us, watches us, check on us and rarely even come to bed with us).  But she does not like to be cuddled.  She would tolerate, perhaps 30 seconds and then get away or start pretending to bite and scratch.  If we still hold on she will bite.  It is such a sad thing for us as we do not have children and Sadie is our first pet. 
I have a red tabby adult cat that is around 3 years old. He does not like to be held. He prefers to sleep on top of our love seat downstairs and only comes to bed with us once in a while. He will sit next to us on the couch for pets and does laps sometimes. I think some cats are just more independent then others. He gets along great with my other cat and will hang out with guests.