Orange Tabby personality?

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My red Somali boy is very lovable but only to me. My red tabby dsh girl is also very lovable and to everyone. Neither of them have a dominant personality. Not sure if ruddy is consider red or not but Veeshan is not lovable and she is very dominant. My previous red tabby Persian male was not really lovable but had a wonderful outgoing personality with other cats, not dominant.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am absolutely NOT an expert, but I think personality is the most important ingredient. We have had calis and torties come through the shelter who -under trying circumstances - have been absolute sweethearts!! A couple of 7-8 mo. old tortie sisters who could have given you diabetes from their sweetness!
They got a great home!

And conversely - we had a tremendously poorly socialized longhaired orange cat who scratched and bit everyone, dominated and fought with the other cats, etc. But someone fell in love with his striking good looks and took him home.

So, the moral of the story is - take that little orange boy home!!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by azcarol

Thank you for the quick answers!

I want to adopt this boy today! I'm pining away for him as we speak! But, I want to make sure he's a good fit for Shelly. Are orange tabbies laid back or energetic? Are they playful? Would Shelly bother them because she's energetic?

Oh I'm so excited! I may have a new kitty today!!!
After adopting my first, Ginger the tortie, I went out of my way to find THE orange boy of my dreams. I looked in my local shelter, day after day, and I looked at dozens of pics of orange boys, and when I saw Ferris' sweet face, I stopped short - I KNEW he was MY boy. I found out he was a feral rescue after the fact, but didn't care - I was already smitten based on his picture.

He took some time to be socialized but he is now the sweetest lovebug I have ever known. And he LOVES to play, he's full of beans, and he spends hours playing with Penny, my Bengal. Bengals are famous for their incredibly high energy levels.

Long story short, I say GO FOR IT!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

My red Somali boy is very lovable but only to me. My red tabby dsh girl is also very lovable and to everyone. Neither of them have a dominant personality. Not sure if ruddy is consider red or not but Veeshan is not lovable and she is very dominant. My previous red tabby Persian male was not really lovable but had a wonderful outgoing personality with other cats, not dominant.
Kitz - the "ruddy" genetically is a black cat (black tipping). The red would be closer to a genetic red. Ruddy and Red are really not true red cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

azcarol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just brought my orange boy home!!! Will post pictures later!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Well I'll be the first to admit something "bad" about color and my cats

I love calicos and torties (cause you can get lots of different color kittens with RESPONSIBLE breeding). But I hate their personalities! Every one of my torties or calicos had that "tortie" attitude. Even my odd-eye white rex who was a tortie genetically (she carried both red and black genes) was the same tortie attitude.
well, Java, my calico, is the sweetest thing, & very non-dominant - no 'tortie' attitude.
Firefox, the torbie, seems to have it in spades!

tabbytail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never known an orange tom who wasn't a sweet purring machine. The one I have now is the fifth generation of the same family, all orange and white toms with a white stripe through the forehead, all very precious.

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Be sure to make proper introductions!

A kitten is the easiest mesh of all, but still take some care.

One trick I've always used is to refer to the new kitten as So-and-so's kitten. You got the kitten for them...

That's your story. Stick to it.

Also, we can inadvertently trigger jealousy by paying a lot of attention to the new kitten, even if it's because they are getting into things. Be sure you take time for the previous cat, even taking them into a separate room for some one on one attention.

They might not see the advantages. It's important that we minimize the
disadvantages.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I just brought my orange boy home!!! Will post pictures later!
I was going to vote to adopt him but you've already done so!! Congratulations!!

If you want my opinion on red tabbies, look at my siggie.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you for the quick answers!

I want to adopt this boy today! I'm pining away for him as we speak! But, I want to make sure he's a good fit for Shelly. Are orange tabbies laid back or energetic? Are they playful? Would Shelly bother them because she's energetic?

Oh I'm so excited! I may have a new kitty today!!!
My RB baby, Marbles was an orange boy. He was SOOO loving yet he was playful and energetic. I don't think you could go wrong.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Well I'll be the first to admit something "bad" about color and my cats

I love calicos and torties (cause you can get lots of different color kittens with RESPONSIBLE breeding). But I hate their personalities! Every one of my torties or calicos had that "tortie" attitude. Even my odd-eye white rex who was a tortie genetically (she carried both red and black genes) was the same tortie attitude.
My sister had a tortie who was hissy and sassy to everyone except her. Many people wondered what she saw in that cat but she loved her to the day she died.

teneff88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My orange cat is such a loveable cuddler. He sometimes literally knocks me over cuz he rubs his head against me so hard. My boyfriend plays really rough with him to the point where I know he don't like it, but an hour later will come by him and rub his legs all loveable or purrs really loud when he picks him up. He's very quite sociable too. He gets a little scared when people come over, but after a little bit will come out into the living room and hang out with everyone and rub on everyone.

When we first got him as a kitten (he's now 9yo), we had a old black and white female cat. She didn't like meeting new cats, but he kept trying to "introduce" himself and kept trying to play with her, even when she tried to hiss him away. But then a few years later, we got a dog that would mess with both of them, so those 2 became buddies after awhile. So I think as long as you pair him up with a cat that enjoys new friends, then he'd prolly get along with the other cat fast.

Here he is:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

azcarol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Meet Miles, my new orange tabby guy!
Sorry the pictures are a bit blurry.

Here he is under my son's bed, his current favorite hiding spot:

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my Berach is a little orange boy...
he is both laid back and energetic and has the most amazing personality.

I ADORE him

he's disgustingly sweet too and
loves
snuggy-times

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Meet Miles, my new orange tabby guy!
Sorry the pictures are a bit blurry.

Here he is under my son's bed, his current favorite hiding spot:
Hi Miles! What a cutie you are!

Congratulations!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's so cute!

Our downstairs neighbor got an orange kitten this year. He's big now, but I had kitten fever bad this year because of him. Every orange tabby I've ever met was a pretty loving cat. Spunky, but loving.
I want one of my own now.:p