Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Oral Hygiene

Discussion in 'Cat Health' started by Graceful-Lily, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Graceful-Lily

Graceful-Lily Thread Starter TCS Member Super Cat

May 30, 2016
    Orbiting the Earth. . .
    Felix's teeth aren't too bad. He does have some tartar on them and mild gingivitis. But that's only because sometimes I forget to brush for months. His breath has also improved since I've been brushing everyday.

Is there anything else that can help with the tartar and gingivitis? Maybe a specific brand of toothpaste, an herb, drink, or something?

I currently use these: ARM & HAMMER™ Advanced Pet Care Cat Toothpaste & Brush Set | cat Dental Sprays & Toothbrushes | PetSmart

I just need something to loosen the tartar enough for me to remove it. His tartar never gets hard because I always pick it off before it gets "permanent".

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018

2. LTS3

LTS3 TCS Member Staff Member Forum Helper

Aug 29, 2014
    USA
    CET makes a tartar control toothpaste. The seafood and beef ones are the tartar control ones.

It looks like CET is making the cat dental chews again: C.E.T.® Oral Hygiene Chews for Cats It takes awhile for a cat to gnaw a chew apart into small enough pieces to swallow.

Graceful-Lily purraised this.

3. Graceful-Lily

May 30, 2016
    Orbiting the Earth. . .
    @LTS3 - Is baking soda safe to use? This is what I was using before daily. A little on a damp paper towel...

Or maybe this? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018

4. LTS3

LTS3 TCS Member Staff Member Forum Helper

Aug 29, 2014
    USA
    I don't think seaweed or anything plant-like would help with dental care.

Baking soda in large amounts can cause foamy vomit. A teeny amount likely wouldn't hut. I'd still stick with pet toothpaste.

5. Graceful-Lily

May 30, 2016
    Orbiting the Earth. . .
    Well, there are a lot of positive reviews so it wouldn't hurt to try.

Thanks for your help! :hearthrob: