Oral Clindamycin

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my vet put my kitten on oral clindamycin once a day for ten days for infection. They gave the first dose in the office. They said it's bitter and cats don't like the taste. She has been heaving off and on since then like she wants to vomit. I gave her some chicken when we got home and squirted some water in her mouth hoping that will help. Anyone have experience with this antibiotic? I called the vets office and said I didn't think we could do this med. I don't want to put her through heaving constantly and to switch to something else. They are out of amoxicillin so have to wait until tomorrow to get it in. At least she already had her dose today of the clindamycin. If cats react that badly to it I don't know why they prescribe it.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is on clindamycin right now too for recovery from dental surgery. She hasn't had any heaving or vomitting but she seems a bit sluggish and woozy, which I think is normal with this antibiotic. I know it can also make cats nauseous, but you might want to just give your vet office a call and let them know that your kitten is reacting this way and see what they suggest.

In terms of getting your cat to take the medication - I have found that clindamycin is particularly awful smelling. You might ask your vet for the tablet kind. The trick I'm using now is to crush the tablet, mix it with her wet food, and then sprinkle some fortiflora on top of it. She won't eat it without the fortiflora because it smells so awful. But, the fortiflora is primarily animal digest and cats love the smell. It does the trick to mask the smell of the antibiotic. It can be a bit pricey but honestly I think it's worth it to always have some foritflora around the house. Especially when cats are sick and refusing to eat.

Edit: Sorry - obviously I don't read properly. Just realized you said you already called your vet. So you are switching her tomorrow?

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used it before as well, and I always give a small squirt of water and a bit of food or several treats after giving the pill. It makes sure they swallow it completely and takes the taste away. None of my cats have ever responded negatively when I do this.
But if your kitty is have a bad response to it, it could be that a different med is needed. But your cat could have simply been reacting that way because she did not swallow the pill all the way down and it was making her feel sick. Did it seem to help a bit after you gave her the chicken?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat was on this last summer. I had to mix it in baby food. That did the trick. Just watch for diarrhea. My boy got it so bad after a week. It took 4 weeks to clear up. You fix one problem and end up with another.....

I have also had clindamycin compounded. I did it with liquid and small capsules.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went back and she is on amoxicillin now instead. I gave her the first dose and went fine. I have a brand new bottle of clindamycin. I'll have to see if I can donate it to paws and claws. She only got one dose!