Optional blood test? (long post)

manomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nik goes in to be neutered next Friday. We took him to the vet this afternoon - we got home from holidays just a few hours ago (he was being minded by my sister in law while we were away) and he had a massively swollen eye - it was really scary so we took him straight to the vet, and she ran some tests (checked for lesions etc), gave him antihistamine and some ointment for his eye - our best guess is that an ant or something similar bit him (he is an inside cat, but sometimes flying ants will get in when we open the door, and he will chase and play with them). Anyway, he seems to be getting better, the swelling has gone down a bit. This was just a long aside to explain why we took him to the vet a week before he was due to go in to be neutered.

Anyway, the vet told us that she offers optional blood tests prior to the operation (all cats over 7yo have the blood work, but she offers the option for young cats, Nik is five and a half months). The blood work covers liver function, hydration and other standard things. It does cost a bit more, but I think it's probably worth it just in case it shows up something we don't know about - he has been a healthy kitten and I have no reason to think there will be anything there, but I think I'd like the peace of mind.

She wasn't really pushy about it, just wanted to let us know it would be offered to us on admission. What do others think?

Naomi

alexnell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That way you will have a healthy baseline to compare to later, if a problem develops years down the road.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always have them do that test and the clinic I use also gives the cat a physical exam prior to the procedure. It's really worth it to have the test done and I say go for it too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

manomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd pretty much decided to do it, and I read the literature the vet gave me about the tests, so I'm definately going to have it done.

Naomi