Opinions On Spay Incision?

MegAndOllie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
BA3182B5-B558-4D1B-8D43-302D5E3FEEE5.jpeg
C654FF19-054D-4A75-BA4D-0D8BA51F4937.jpeg
BA3182B5-B558-4D1B-8D43-302D5E3FEEE5.jpeg

Hello everyone! I took my Ollie girl in to get spayed last Tuesday, the 8th. Tomorrow will be one week since surgery. We took her in yesterday because her spay incision just looked a little rough from what I remember as a child. I haven’t had a female in years, so this is all relatively fresh and new to me. The vet said it looked like she got to it a little bit, but she should be fine since there welter no signs of infection. Maybe I am a worrier, but she’s my baby and I don’t want her to be in pain. What are your opinions on this? She has been wearing an e-collar since the day of surgery, and at first, would take it off for her to eat or use the litter box. Since we spoke with the vet, we have kept it on all day. Would coconut oil help?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think she is okay. Normally they use the stitches that dissolve inside and glue on the outside. It looks like the very outside opened up a little. There doesn't appear to be any infection so she will heal up fine.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not seeing any redness or swelling, just...a bit of crust. I'd say your vet called it just right, and she managed to nibble a bit without doing real damage. Do keep her collar on, and check for any signs of redness and swelling at the site. But that said, I think you are fine. And yes, it is scary, and yes, we worry. That's perfectly normal!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MegAndOllie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, everyone! Definitely helps to put my mind at ease!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If anything changes, YELL, or when she is fine and over it all, let us know! We'll fret. You've become part of a community now, and your cat, in some small way, is ours, as well.

MegAndOllie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If anything changes, YELL, or when she is fine and over it all, let us know! We'll fret. You've become part of a community now, and your cat, in some small way, is ours, as well.
I appreciate it and you guys so much!! Thank you!

MegAndOllie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So these were taken today. She happened to get her cone off while I was out doing dishes yesterday and I came back in the room to find her licking it it had to have been off for no more than 10 mins, but still, it worries me that she may have opened it up.

Attachments

MegAndOllie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So these were taken today. She happened to get her cone off while I was out doing dishes yesterday and I came back in the room to find her licking it it had to have been off for no more than 10 mins, but still, it worries me that she may have opened it up.

Attachments

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is ok for them to lick it a bit. I am shocked she is still wearing a cone after what 9 days lol, most cats would hate it by now. I have never used cones after spays or neuters. It is hard to tell in the last picture but it looks like she just cleaned it up a bit. I would expect it to look a little more healed by now so I wonder if she bothered it a little too much. Keep an eye on it still for oozing or redness see what it looks like tomorrow.

MegAndOllie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I assume it’s the scab.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay. I'm not an expert, but my thoughts are: it's not an emergency, but I would bring her in to get checked by the vet as soon as you can. It doesn't seem to be healed enough over a week out from the surgery.

MegAndOllie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh
It is ok for them to lick it a bit. I am shocked she is still wearing a cone after what 9 days lol, most cats would hate it by now. I have never used cones after spays or neuters. It is hard to tell in the last picture but it looks like she just cleaned it up a bit. I would expect it to look a little more healed by now so I wonder if she bothered it a little too much. Keep an eye on it still for oozing or redness see what it looks like tomorrow.

She is pretty much used to it by now. I feel so bad for her though. I can’t wait for her to be healed up! She misses her brothers! I called the vet yesterday and they strongly advised to keep the collar on and did not recommend coconut oil.

MegAndOllie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay. I'm not an expert, but my thoughts are: it's not an emergency, but I would bring her in to get checked by the vet as soon as you can. It doesn't seem to be healed enough over a week out from the surgery.

Thank you! I was expecting it to be healed by now. I wasn’t sure what to expect though.

MegAndOllie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s getting there!! Just wanted to give a quick update to how she’s doing! Probably just one more day with the e-collar since every time we take it off, she is relentless and non-stop with licking it. I can only imagine it can’t be too good for it! Let me know otherwise! Thanks everyone :) you’ve all been such an amazing help!

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
EXCELLENT! And that's what we're here for! This really is a community, and I hope we see lots of you and Ollie on the forums in the future!