Opinions on Felidae

sooz123

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been looking for a high-quality wet food to feed little Mika-brat. His breeder used Science Diet, but since I read such not-nice things about it I instantly decided to switch... not to mention she didn't feed him wet and when we gave him SD wet he had really REALLY stinky poo.

I tried Wellness, which he lapped up. The ingredient list looked so great, but on another thread someone said the garlic in it is being debated as potentially harmful... I'd rather not take the chance.

There are two other brands at our store... one I can't remember the name but I know they make human gravies, and Felidae. I got four cans of the Felidae, and the ingredients look good, but I wanted to hear what your experience has been with it.

PS: When fed Felidae this afternoon he only ate about half of what we would've given him of Wellness, which he ate all of before. He may not like it as much... but I'm assuming with time he'll be lapping it up, too. That is, if we stick with it.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won't say I love all the ingredients, because I think I'm moving to being more of a purist, and am not so sure my cat's food needs veggies/fruits etc!

That said, I consider Felidae (which comes in two flavors - one is a chicken and rice, and the other is chicken/turkey/lamb/ocean fish - to both be very good foods, and this brand to be one of the best on the market.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am with Pat & Alix on the ingrediants.. but I will say my dog and cat like the canned chn and rice..

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I loved the Felidae dry food for a male cat I was once caring for ... Toby had FLUTD and the cranberry extract actually helped to sooth the painful urination he experienced from time to time.

Other than that one boy, I have never had a cat who would voluntarily eat it.

~gf~

starlie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll have to sing the praises of Felidae too. The ingredients are great, and 2 out of 3 loved it. In my opinion, Felidae is probably one of the top 3 premium brands on the market. I heard Innova is #1, and I assume the third one is either Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul or Wellness. That said, I alternate my cats between Innova, Felidae and most recently, Natural Balance.

P.S. I believe both the canned and dry foods for Felidae have cranberry in them.

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats swear by felidae.... so does our vet!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I consider Felidae one of the top foods on the market, and feed the dry whenever it's available here. Unfortunately, Jamie doesn't like the canned Felidae, and the dry is often unavailable in Europe for months at a time, and may no longer be sold. Innova and California Natural are also no longer being exported to Europe because of the constantly changing EU import regulations.

I complained too fast - I just got an email from one of the dealers I order from, and he's expecting a shipment of Felidae tomorrow, and talked to NaturaPet, makers of California Natural and Innova, last week - they've apparently changed their mind, and will continue to export, but we can't expect any deliveries for several weeks (meaning months).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I consider Felidae one of the top foods on the market, and feed the dry whenever it's available here. Unfortunately, Jamie doesn't like the canned Felidae, and the dry is often unavailable in Europe for months at a time, and may no longer be sold. Innova and California Natural are also no longer being exported to Europe because of the constantly changing EU import regulations.

I complained too fast - I just got an email from one of the dealers I order from, and he's expecting a shipment of Felidae tomorrow, and talked to NaturaPet, makers of California Natural and Innova, last week - they've apparently changed their mind, and will continue to export, but we can't expect any deliveries for several weeks (meaning months).
So sorry about the lack of your kids fav foods... can you get something like natural balence , nutro or sensible choice??

myfirstragdoll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've started to switch from wellness to chicken soup for the kitten lovers soul. It sound great! No Garlic! I've mixed it with the wellness and science diet i had. I wasn't going to waste food.

Lisa

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

So sorry about the lack of your kids fav foods... can you get something like natural balence , nutro or sensible choice??
Nutro is available right now, as are Serengeti and Dick Van Patten's. I still have a bag of Solid Gold, and ordered Felidae today. I'm so glad Jamie is fairly flexible.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Nutro is available right now, as are Serengeti and Dick Van Patten's. I still have a bag of Solid Gold, and ordered Felidae today. I'm so glad Jamie is fairly flexible.
I am glad she is flexible too

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Mine also don't like the vet food. I know this may sound strange but iialways try a piece of the kibble myself and nutro is a lot less tasty than felidae... but hey who know what a cats taste buds pick up

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zazi

Mine also don't like the vet food. I know this may sound strange but iialways try a piece of the kibble myself and nutro is a lot less tasty than felidae... but hey who know what a cats taste buds pick up
Jamie seems to like the size of the Nutro kibble, especially the salmon. He won't touch the Nutro canned or pouches, though. My mom's pets (two dogs and a cat) practically "inhale" Nutro.

I got in touch with NaturaPet myself, because I've got two dealers contradicting each other. Innova, California Natural, and Healthwise will no longer be exported to Europe. Felidae and Solid Gold will be, because they've already changed their formulas and declarations. A couple of people on European forums (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Holland and Luxembourg) say that their cats won't eat the new formulas, though.
I can get excellent canned food here, but most of the dry is inferior to the American stuff. I wonder if I can get my mom or sister to ship it, and hope customs doesn't confiscate it?
P.S. I try the cat food, too.

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm going to differ from others and say you should feed what the breeder was feeding, not to upset the kitten's tummy, especially during the early intro stage. Also, you should feed wet as well, at least 3oz a day

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
But what if the breeder was feeding an inferior food? Jamie is a rescue, not from a breeder, and when I got him he was being fed Whiskas' kitten food. I switched him to premium foods (no tummy problems). I'm still in touch with the various people who adopted his four siblings, and they for the most part continued with Whiskas (two of his brothers were switched to premium foods after their owner saw Jamie). Jamie is much bigger and has a much shinier coat than his siblings, and has had fewer health problems. Some breeders are nutritional experts, while others give their cats/kittens food that is questionable. While I agree that a slow switch is probably advisable, I don't think a change should be ruled out, along the lines of "Breeders know best".
I do agree that wet food is preferable to dry, but it's often difficult to convince some cats of that.

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I recently switched to Natural Balance dry and Cosmo really likes it, and the ingredient list looked excellent to me.

I have him on a mostly-dry diet, but I'm going to start giving him canned a few times a week. I'm going to stick with the Natural Balance ("Ultra" flavor). First five ingredients are: Chicken, chicken broth, chicken liver, duck, and salmon.