Opinions On Chicken Soup For The Soul Food

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to use the dog version Chicken Soup for my Great Dane and he loved it! Although he loved everything and anything ;). And since the ingredients look to be just as good if not better than the current kitten food I’ve my pregnant queen on (RC) I figured I’d give it a try. But the problem I’ve noticed with really healthy foods is that my cats don’t like it. I’ve got 2 huge bags of wasted healthy food in my pantry for this reason. I hoped since my dog liked it my cats might too. It just delivered a few days ago and I’ve been mixing it with their current food (RC for 1 queen but the other queen is so picky she will ONLY eat what previous owner had her on, Fancy feast dry - I’m not a big fan at all). So far they’re all eating the mix but I’m a little worried about fully switching them to the chicken soup because I’m afraid they’ll hate it (same as with the other healthy foods I’ve tried) and then they won’t even eat the mix.

The reason I switched in the first place was because the ingredients are better obviously but the price is much better as well. So I was hoping to save rather than keeping on a mix and buying all three brands resulting in me spending even more.
I couldn’t find a lot of reviews as far as taste and whether cats like the chicken soup or not. Anyone used this who can comment on its cats likability?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I am going to be honest- I think the dry kitten food is quite poor quality. It has potatoes, peas, rice, fish meal, carrots among other ingredients that cats don’t need. It is also high in carbs and low in moisture.

This is just my honest opinion. But if the food is working for you, you may have reasons to keep it in your kitten’s diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I’d love to have them on a strictly raw or wet diet but unfortunately it’s a bit out of our budget right now, at least until my youngest is in school and I can return to work. So for now the best dry I can afford will have to do, and luckily it seems to suite them just fine, along with 2 cans of wet per day, per kitty.

Do you have any recommendations on reasonably priced non-dry food? I’ve been on the search for the best within a reasonable price range for years now.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I’d love to have them on a strictly raw or wet diet but unfortunately it’s a bit out of our budget right now, at least until my youngest is in school and I can return to work. So for now the best dry I can afford will have to do, and luckily it seems to suite them just fine, along with 2 cans of wet per day, per kitty.

Do you have any recommendations on reasonably priced non-dry food? I’ve been on the search for the best within a reasonable price range for years now.
I completely understand. You have to make the decision that makes the most sense for you. It’s tough finding a dry food that is higher quality and affordable. I think if this one is working for you stick to it. I’m not sure what I could recommend that would be better, sorry.

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve fed chicken soup for the soul adult chicken formula my cats like it & imo it’s great food for the price! My sensative digestion cat holds it down and everyone that comes to my home comments on how big & beautiful my cats are!!

Attachments

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve fed chicken soup for the soul adult chicken formula my cats like it & imo it’s great food for the price! My sensative digestion cat holds it down and everyone that comes to my home comments on how big & beautiful my cats are!!
Great to know! Did you switch them to it or have they been raised on it? Just one of the many negative affects of feeding them lower quality food is that they don’t want the good stuff. Kinda like a kid who eats sweets and junk all the time lol. I’ve all but forced my super picky girl (the one on fancy feast) to eat better food but she’ll all out starve herself until it’s time for their canned wet twice a day. And I usually end up feeding her a few cans instead of the two they’re supposed to get throughout the day bc she cries and I feel bad. She simply refuses to eat anything but FF as far as dry is concerned.

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats are pickier with the wet food I usually feed friskies or ff. I feed different brands of dry food all the time they just finished a 15 lb bag of chicken soup for the soul took my 2 cats about 3 months . Currently they are eating a 6 lb bag of blue buffalo sensative in the pink bag. Then they will go to a 12 lb bag of solid gold indigo moon then back to chicken soup like to mix it up in case of recalls. I’ve always tried to at least feed Purina one as far as dry. They do prefer junk as far as wet in concerned can’t get them to eat the good stuff have tried them all they hate pate!

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly, it's not a bad food, especially for the price point, it's quite high quality. The fact that it has a bit of fish meal will typically make it more palatable to cats. My cat liked it when he was on it. Didn't have any problems with him eating it.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah L Ladewyn , I thought it looked pretty high quality as well, especially for the price as you pointed out. So far they’re eating it, mixed in with the other 2 brands, and I’m adding a little more chicken soup to the container of all 3 mixes each day. My luckiest eater is still being super picky (she’s still got half a bowl left that I filled up 2 days ago). She’s my biggest girl and still feels nice and thick so I’m not too concerned that she’s not getting enough to eat.

kitty kisser kitty kisser , I’ve used blue Buffalo on and off for a year as well. 3 of 4 cats eat it pretty well. I haven’t tried it with the new (picky) girl yet. But most of the reviews online say cats love it. I buy the Grain Free wilderness . I’m not sure if that one tastes as good as the non grain free version. I also love purina pro plan and my cats love it! But again, I’m trying to get away from the more expensive brands, so here’s for hoping they continue eating it once I remove the others from the mix