Opinions on cat fountain filters?

thoughtfulocean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is your experience with water fountains with filters? How long do they last and how gross do they get? I have been researching options for a while now and like to buy things that last and don't really want something plastic. Have any of you tried something from etsy like this or this?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are really pricey! I have a Drinkwell Platinum and I change the filter every other time I fill the reservoir. It's plastic, but Lily's chin doesn't touch the plastic when she drinks. Mingo won't use it. He's a little feral, and he did drink right from the spout until I got Lily. He must feel vulnerable when he drinks from it. Anyway, I really like the Drinkwell. It's easy to clean and the filters are fairly inexpensive. I buy them in bulk on Amazon.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
wow, the reviews are pretty fantastic. There was one reviewer who said it wasn't any more or less a hassle than any other fountains.

I've used a drinkwell for some time, and I tried another version last year although the cat wasn't impressed with that one so it was returned. In any case, with tiny brushes to reach all the nooks and crannies to avoid any mold or buildup of grime, and covers over the sink drain so small parts don't disappear into the disposal or something like that, they do require regular maintenance/cleaning, but it becomes part of the schedule.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
An edit, one of the bowls used by the etsy seller linked to above is melamine, and if you have concerns about the safety of this material for your cat you may want to keep that in mind.

I do like that the water pump for their fountains has adjustable flow, that's very nice.

How to Protect Your Family From Melamine Dishes Health Risks

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

thoughtfulocean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Dearjujubebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am using ipettie ceramic fountain. Very easy to clean. Usually, I wash the filters and the pump every week to keep the fountain clean. Plus the fountain is so beautiful. I love it and so does my cat!