Opinions On Adopting - Asking For A Friend

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine has a cat around 18 1/2 (female - Lilly) in good health. She's interested in adopting a younger cat, maybe 2-5 years. She asked me if I though it was a good idea to adopt now with Lilly being that old. I didn't know what to tell her; I think it has a lot to do with how Lilly would get along with a new cat, but I don't know that.

So what do you all think? Those who have done it, did it work out? All advice or suggestions welcome.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its mostly down to the temperament of Lily. Is she used to living with other cats, is she active and in good health. You have to look carefully at the other cats background, why is he/she up for adoption, it could be because he/she didnt get on with other cats. Adopting a cat a couple of years old may cause problems and I would consider it carefully before acting on it. Having said that, its not something I have done. Hopefully you will get responses from other members that have done it and can offer first hand advice.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest that your friend take in a foster kitty, or a foster cat. See how it goes from there. The important thing is that the resident cat won't be threatened or even feel left out when a new cat comes in.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Senior cats do not adjust well to newcomers and I personally would not put a very senior cat through that. Better to let it live out it’s remaining life in the comfort of its routines than to add new stress to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the great advice. I am in complete agreement that I would not do it at this point in Lilly's life, especially since she is not that active anymore. My friend did think about fostering, but it would have to be kittens, and so she decided against it. She did have another cat that Lilly got along with, but that cat sadly has been gone for a while.

I know she really wants to get another cat, but sometimes you have to think of the resident cat first. There are two at the rescue where I volunteer that I really would like to adopt .... but I won't do that to Cricket. It took her a while to warm up to Austin, I don't need to be bringing two more in for her to adjust to :blush: