Opinions on Adopting a Second Cat

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our kitty Remi is about 5-6 months old. We love him so much and he's brought us so much joy! We have been soaking up the last 4 months of watching him grow and have gotten so close to him! We have briefly mentioned getting another cat but did not actually act on it until seeing this beautiful girl pictured below. She is three years old. I'm not sure what breed of cat she is... maybe a mix? Her description just says Domestic Medium Hair Mix. Let me know if you happen to think of what breed she could be. But anyway we have been seeing her at our local Petco for about a month or so now and slowly falling more for her each time we see her. She actually got adopted once already and was recently brought back because the household had 2 big dogs that she did not get along with. We dont have any dogs, just our kitten Remi. I've read that it's better to introduce a younger cat to an older one vs. introducing two of the same ages but I'm sure it depends on personality as well. You'll have to let me know your experiences with introducing new cats. I'm just not sure if it would be too soon for Remi but he is layed back and a little shy. I'm thinking with time he would adjust fairly well. We've been told she is also shy but gets along with other cats. Even though it may seem a little soon I also read that the younger a cat is that the easier it is for them to adjust to another since he hasn't been in the house on his own for years. I was wondering how it feels going from one cat to two? Did anyone notice changes? I was wondering about feeding. I was thinking of getting them their own bowls but my partner said we wouldn't have too. I wouldn't want them to fight over food though. We leave the food out during the day because most cats have the ability to self-regulate and Remi does a good job of this. It will be interesting with her though because when we have visited her she looks to be slightly over weight so we might not be able to do the same with her. I also know we would want to get another litter box. Lastly, I am a little confused about something one of the workers told me. She told me that she was once a feral cat, her prevoius owners became homeless and gave her up so I'm not sure if she was a ferral cat prior to her last owners or after. If she was a ferral cat after then it would seem her owners didn't give her up but rather let her go but this is confusing for me to understand. I'm going to try to find out more information about her but I may never know the full story. But anyway her one ear is a slightly clipped. I knew what this meant and the worker said she was potentially going to be a feral cat. This confused me even more because whenever I've interacted with her she's cuddly and playful and the worker also plays with her and said she is super nice and enjoys all the people that come in. This does not make sense because my understanding of feral cats is that they usually avoid contact with humans. I just would want to make sure that there is not something that I dont know before adopting her. If anyone thinks they have any insight it would be appreciated. (also in the pictures below, it appears her ear is not clipped but it is currently clipped in person, confusing once again because I don't know how recently it was clipped).
~ Any opionons, suggestions or personal expirences would be appreciated, thanks for reading!
1608672273073.png
1608672291574.png

Last edited:

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some cats love having a playmate around and others don't, but with proper slow introductions it usually goes ok. I imagine there's a sticky on intros around here or you could do a search. Your kitten being young and this cat being apparently cat friendly chances are good they would get along. But it can be rough at first and you'll need to be able to have the cats separated for an unknown amount of time, maybe days, maybe weeks, maybe months.

As far as feeding, I would say most cats do not self regulate well as the vast majority of pet cats are quite overweight to obese. I'm not a fan of free feeding at all but you can see if it works out for them with multiple bowls, but you should be prepared to do a set feeding schedule if needed. Otherwise there's no real way to know who is eating and how much and with one cat already fat, it would be very hard to control. Possibly being free in a home with a playmate will be enough to keep her slim too! You'll also want 3 litter boxes, number of cats + 1 is the recommended.

The kitty you are looking to adopt is not feral if she's that friendly to humans. Maybe they meant she was outdoor or part of a TNR type deal. Very pretty girl!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is very possible that she was once feral, but that does not mean that she cannot adapt completely to the life of a house pet. My current cats were all ferals at one time and are now indoor only very happily residing us. Some ferals have the genetic background, disposition, etc to accept human company with no problem and some do not. Given that she lives at a Petco, she is definitely in the pet category. For a lot of reasons, those rescues in places like Petco and Petsmart do not and would not take or be able to handle the true wild undomesticated feral and offer them for adoption. She may be shy, but she looks very calm.

Right now my husband brings cat food to a homeless man who "has" cats and DH always comments on how much the cats don't seem feral but have adapted to human company. I don't see where these cats could have been anything but ferals....the likelihood of a bunch of lost pets hooking up with a homeless man is just not very strong.

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Hopefully the articles will help. A new cat needs to be given a space of its own in a separate room, a bathroom is fine, and gradually adjusted to the resident cat. To answer the question about food bowls....they need their own, along with an additional litterbox.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
She looks darling :)

Are both cats fixed?

Every cat is different, and how any two cats react to a new environment and to each other depends on a lot of factors.

By the way, are you feeding canned food?

I have an Only cat now, but along with the great posts and links above there may be some helpful information here for you;

Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats love having a playmate around and others don't, but with proper slow introductions it usually goes ok. I imagine there's a sticky on intros around here or you could do a search. Your kitten being young and this cat being apparently cat friendly chances are good they would get along. But it can be rough at first and you'll need to be able to have the cats separated for an unknown amount of time, maybe days, maybe weeks, maybe months.

As far as feeding, I would say most cats do not self regulate well as the vast majority of pet cats are quite overweight to obese. I'm not a fan of free feeding at all but you can see if it works out for them with multiple bowls, but you should be prepared to do a set feeding schedule if needed. Otherwise there's no real way to know who is eating and how much and with one cat already fat, it would be very hard to control. Possibly being free in a home with a playmate will be enough to keep her slim too! You'll also want 3 litter boxes, number of cats + 1 is the recommended.

The kitty you are looking to adopt is not feral if she's that friendly to humans. Maybe they meant she was outdoor or part of a TNR type deal. Very pretty girl!
Thank you so much for the advice and I agree with the feeding and about her most likely not being a feral cat. I think we just got lucky with Remi self regulating but we may have to do scheduled feeding if we adopt her. Thanks again!

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is very possible that she was once feral, but that does not mean that she cannot adapt completely to the life of a house pet. My current cats were all ferals at one time and are now indoor only very happily residing us. Some ferals have the genetic background, disposition, etc to accept human company with no problem and some do not. Given that she lives at a Petco, she is definitely in the pet category. For a lot of reasons, those rescues in places like Petco and Petsmart do not and would not take or be able to handle the true wild undomesticated feral and offer them for adoption. She may be shy, but she looks very calm.

Right now my husband brings cat food to a homeless man who "has" cats and DH always comments on how much the cats don't seem feral but have adapted to human company. I don't see where these cats could have been anything but ferals....the likelihood of a bunch of lost pets hooking up with a homeless man is just not very strong.

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Hopefully the articles will help. A new cat needs to be given a space of its own in a separate room, a bathroom is fine, and gradually adjusted to the resident cat. To answer the question about food bowls....they need their own, along with an additional litterbox.
So much valuable information, especially about feral cats in general. Thank you and I will definitely be taking your advice if everything works out!

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
She looks darling :)

Are both cats fixed?

Every cat is different, and how any two cats react to a new environment and to each other depends on a lot of factors.

By the way, are you feeding canned food?

I have an Only cat now, but along with the great posts and links above there may be some helpful information here for you;

Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members – TheCatSite Articles
Hi, yes I forgot to mention that both cats are neutered and spayed! We were feeding canned when Remi was a little younger and gradually switched him over to dry kitten food. Thanks for the additional links! :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You may want to consider both wet and dry for him/them, with an emphasis on the canned food. It's not a guarantee but can be a bit of insurance against some of the issues that crop up with kibble-only diets.

Let us know what happens 💞

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You may want to consider both wet and dry for him/them, with an emphasis on the canned food. It's not a guarantee but can be a bit of insurance against some of the issues that crop up with kibble-only diets.

Let us know what happens 💞
Yes! I was just thinking of buying some more canned wet food so that I could give it to him every once in awhile as I've heard its better for their health. Thank you and I will do!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A three year old has a good chance of doing well with a kitten, friendship more likely than not, but not guarrantied and some stress for a good while is possible too. Kitten + kitten guarranties friendship.

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just thought I would update anyone who was curious, we brought our girl Riri home today! We brought her home in our carrier and then went straight to our guest bedroom. We opened the carrier door and my partner and I just sat in the room for 10 minutes. She did not come out of the carrier and so we left the room. The next time we entered the room she was under the bed. I know this is fairly common and that she is just scared and needs time to adjust. She has been through a lot but was still very cuddly and friendly when we interacted with her in her little home at Petco. I am sure that was because she felt comfortable and used to her surroundings whereas now she probably feels overwhelmed and scared (she actually did put up a little bit of a fight when the worker tried to take her out of her previous cage/home and put her in the carrier, Riri was trying to grab onto the cat tree and did not want to leave ☹) . The one thing that I did not want to happen is for her to meet our kitten Remi but as we were opening the door he ran in and went by her briefly and she just let out a small hiss. I'm hoping that she doesn't have a harder time adjusting since she met him before she was ready. I have researched how to introduce cats successfully and slowly so I don't know if them having met prematurely will make it harder but we plan to let her be alone in the guest room without contact with Remi until she has adjusted to us, her current room, and shows all of the typical signs of being comfortable. We have her own litter box in the room, food and water dishes, a cat bed, and some toys. My partner had high hopes of everything going smoothly and quickly and he initially just wanted to let her have freedom to the whole house and Remi but I am a more involved as far as research goes so I knew that we should try our best to help her adjust appropriately and that this would be a likely possible as far as her taking longer to adjust and hiding. It can take days, weeks, or sometimes even months for a new cat to adjust, especially an adult adoptive cat. Thanks for reading and feel free to leave any advice or stories of your own! We are so excited that our new girl is here but we are willing to be patient and let her come to us! 🙂

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't need to worry much about an accidental meeting unless there is fighting, and there won't be, since adults don't attack kittens. This accidental meeting sounds like it was a lot of nothing, no worries. Besides, its not the kitten you need to worry about. Kittens are the most adaptable of cats. Sure, it might take up to a week or so sometimes, but you don't really need to worry about whether the kitten will ultimately get there. Since you didn't describe your 3 year old being stressed, it actually sounds like a good sign to me. And of course your 100% correct that hiding under the bed is totally normal. Just be patient, chill out in that room, get down on the kitten's level if you want, or just use your phone / read somewhere in there. Maybe tomorrow you can try luring out with treats or toys, but patience is king. Don't get grabby, let the kitten be the boss of the relationship and things will change fast.

Enjoy!

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You don't need to worry much about an accidental meeting unless there is fighting, and there won't be, since adults don't attack kittens. This accidental meeting sounds like it was a lot of nothing, no worries. Besides, its not the kitten you need to worry about. Kittens are the most adaptable of cats. Sure, it might take up to a week or so sometimes, but you don't really need to worry about whether the kitten will ultimately get there. Since you didn't describe your 3 year old being stressed, it actually sounds like a good sign to me. And of course your 100% correct that hiding under the bed is totally normal. Just be patient, chill out in that room, get down on the kitten's level if you want, or just use your phone / read somewhere in there. Maybe tomorrow you can try luring out with treats or toys, but patience is king. Don't get grabby, let the kitten be the boss of the relationship and things will change fast.

Enjoy!
100% agree, I believe that she will get there with time and patience. Thank you for the input!