opinions needed: re: best brand for LIGHTWEIGHT litter

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I was reading an old thread that mentioned the "dustiness" of lightweight cat litter and one person mentioned cat asthma. Do you use lightweight cat litter? Just this week I had my cat use Fresh Step lightweight litter and she had no issues.

The dustiness is something to watch out for during initial fill, and I would imagine it's more of an issue if your cat's an energetic digger. The slower the better. Anyway, opinions please Thank you

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my cat box is in the same room as the bed so I'm very aware of dust, especially when they scratch. I typically use Arm & Hammer Super Scoop but since I've ran into some breathing sensitivities, I've been exploring non clay litter. I don't know if it would be considered lightweight but I just got a bag of Fresh Results from walmart & it was super light! No dust either as it's corncob.

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've used the lightweight litters. Why? Because I wanted to get a wild card and try something new. They're okay but expensive, as for dust? No. . .it's more of a prefumey smell. I don't like scented anything. The weight of litter is not a issue for me. . .not to brag but I handle 200-350 lbs of animal feed a week (litter is 42lbs) so I'm built for that now. :lol3:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, off-topic, but I know many of you here have dogs too. You might've heard of Kyle Kittleson, a dog whisperer, not as well-known as Cesar Milan from TV, but I interviewed Kyle. This is the transcript from that chat: http://sbt.me/6pa

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I like how the Fresh Step lightweight litter clumps and the texture a little better. I don't know which version I have right now but I haven't noticed a dust or smell issue. My cats only have litter when they are housebound though so the lightweight is nice since I store it at the top of my garage with the carriers.