Opinion on this commercial raw?

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! So i stumbled upon this commercial raw a few days ago, and am very tempted to try my cat out on it. However, i'm totally clueless when it comes to raw food / the good vs the bad / things to take note of in the ingredients, ratios of things and all, and would appreciate any opinions and advice! Thank you!

Here it is:
Free Range Chicken

Raw Cat Food made from wholesome free range, antibiotic-free chicken packed with natural goodness. Nutritiously balanced using human grade whole ingredients air flown from Australia.
Each cup weighs 85 grams
Sold as per dozen (12 cups)
No artificial flavours, colours & preservatives. Ever.

All Natural Ingredients
Skinless Chicken Breast Meat with Bones 84%, Chicken Liver 5%, Chicken Heart 5%, Chicken Gizzard 3%, (Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil, Taurine, Organic Sea Kelp, Bilberry, Prebiotics, Probiotics) 3%

Typical Analysis
Protein 19.1%, Fat 4.9%, Moisture 72.5%, Ash 1.5%
Calcium 0.33% Phosphorus 0.3%. C:p ratio 1.1:1
Calorie Content ME
1317.6kcal/kg , 112kcal/cup

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You could try it, it sounds good although I would watch her litter box habits, from the bone because as I understand it, too much can cause constipation. Otherwise, I'm not an expert, but those members who are will see your post soon. In the meantime, here's one of this sites' articles that discusses the bone component, which may help ;

Raw Feeding Cats: Calcium And Bones – Cat Articles

Last edited:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
This looks quite good to me. The phosphorus amount is quite low (1.09 dmb) which indicates to me that there probably isn't too much bone in this, but you can email the company to ask and be safe. You don't want it to be more than 10% bone (out of the total meat content). The Ca : P ratio looks good and I also like that they use breast meat - most American raw companies use dark meat which is higher in fat.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Only the bone would matter to me. But I'm not sure WHO making raw food totally excludes bone other than do-it-yourself like EZComplete or Alnutrin.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Raw bone is perfectly fine and healthy for cats to eat. It’s a great source of minerals. The concern with some commercial raw foods is that they put too much bone which can lead to digestive upset. But, as I mentioned before, given that the phosphorus level of this food is not that high I don’t think that should be a problem here.