Opinion on supplements for recurring UTIs

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi folks,
I've been talking with Nico's vet, as he seems to have recurring UTI's ( he has diabetes so this is more common for him.) I was reading that cranberry or D-mannose is a good supplement to add to his diet to help prevent him from getting them in the future, but I'm not sure if there's a brand you all prefer/appropriate dosage? I'm just trying to help my buddy out as much as possible. Also, can I give him the d-mannose while he's still on antibiotics? I was not sure.
I appreciate any feedback!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I use Now brand D-mannose with Iris and give her 1/8 tsp. at each of her two daily meals as a preventative. I’d increase that if I thought she was getting a UTI. I also add corn silk extract to one meal a day to help reduce any inflammation. Before I began this regimen, she and her sister Lily both started to get frequent UTIs a year or so ago, and the vet was treating them with antibiotics. In November this past year, I lost Lily to an antibiotic-resistant UTI. I learned about D-mannose a week before she died, but her infection was so far advanced that I don’t think it would have mattered. But I’ve been giving it to Iris since that time.

I don’t have any experience with D-mannose and antibiotics so I can’t help you there! I’d probably give it, personally, because it’s simply a naturally occurring sugar. I’d be more concerned about the diabetes and D-mannose. Do you test his blood sugar?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This from VetInfo on D mannose and diabetes in cats:

"Even though it is a type of sugar, D-Mannose is very safe for diabetic cats, as only a negligible amount is used by the body, with the rest being passed with the urine. In other words, this means that the blood sugar levels of the cats will not be influenced in any way when administering D-Mannose."

I did not find any interactions with antibiotics, but check with your vet, just in case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Now brand D-mannose with Iris and give her 1/8 tsp. at each of her two daily meals as a preventative. I’d increase that if I thought she was getting a UTI. I also add corn silk extract to one meal a day to help reduce any inflammation. Before I began this regimen, she and her sister Lily both started to get frequent UTIs a year or so ago, and the vet was treating them with antibiotics. In November this past year, I lost Lily to an antibiotic-resistant UTI. I learned about D-mannose a week before she died, but her infection was so far advanced that I don’t think it would have mattered. But I’ve been giving it to Iris since that time.

I don’t have any experience with D-mannose and antibiotics so I can’t help you there! I’d probably give it, personally, because it’s simply a naturally occurring sugar. I’d be more concerned about the diabetes and D-mannose. Do you test his blood sugar?
Aw I'm so sorry to hear this is the reason you lost Lily.❤ It's odd, but this thought has been creeping up from the back of my mind about Nico.
I appreciate you sharing the information and experience, at least I know I'm not crazy for thinking that way.
Yes, actually I have a meter and home test every day before his insulin shot, with a glucose curve thrown in here and there. I send his numbers monthly to his vet, so we should be good there.

This from VetInfo on D mannose and diabetes in cats:

"Even though it is a type of sugar, D-Mannose is very safe for diabetic cats, as only a negligible amount is used by the body, with the rest being passed with the urine. In other words, this means that the blood sugar levels of the cats will not be influenced in any way when administering D-Mannose."

I did not find any interactions with antibiotics, but check with your vet, just in case.
Ok, great! Thank you both so much. I have a follow up on Monday for urinalysis to see if his current UTI is gone, and I will ask her then. This makes me feel a little better, like I have a plan in the back pocket. ☺

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, actually I have a meter and home test every day before his insulin shot, with a glucose curve thrown in here and there. I send his numbers monthly to his vet, so we should be good there.
Not related to the reason you posted, but my boy Max was diabetic (he crossed the Bridge at age 20 in 2017) and I discovered that the cheapest price by far for insulin was at Costco. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not related to the reason you posted, but my boy Max was diabetic (he crossed the Bridge at age 20 in 2017) and I discovered that the cheapest price by far for insulin was at Costco. :)
Aw, I'm sorry to hear about Max, but that gives me hope for Nico. He was diagnosed last year at age 14, but he still acts like a kitten sometimes lol. My job as pet mama is to make sure he has a full happy life, so I welcome any little tidbits that help! I'm getting it from Chewy right now, he's on ProZinc. But I'm curious if Costco has it and if I can get it cheaper - I'd rather be able to pick it up from a pharmacy versus go through the hassle of shipping. 😶

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Aw, I'm sorry to hear about Max, but that gives me hope for Nico. He was diagnosed last year at age 14, but he still acts like a kitten sometimes lol. My job as pet mama is to make sure he has a full happy life, so I welcome any little tidbits that help! I'm getting it from Chewy right now, he's on ProZinc. But I'm curious if Costco has it and if I can get it cheaper - I'd rather be able to pick it up from a pharmacy versus go through the hassle of shipping. 😶
He was originally on ProZinc but then he was switched to Lantus. I was buying it online from VetRxDirect, but my vet was the one who told me I could get it cheaper from Costco. Max was 14 when he was diagnosed, too. :)

Besides iHerb, another good source for supplements is Vitacost.