Opinion on B12 brands

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
So, I wanted to get thoughts on a few different B12 supplements. For the past year, I've been giving Zobaline to both my anemic/IBD kitty and my diabetic kitty. However in talking with the vet, she mentioned less expensive formulas. The one she mentioned was Nutramax Cobalequin.
I know these two are different formulations of the same supplement, but not sure if anyone here has a preference for one of the other and why? I don't mind switching brands/formulations, I just am a curious cat. 😉

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
You're needing just the B12 right, not the B complex (all the b vitamins)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I use cobalequin for my cat. They are cut for her dosage. No flavor so I dip it in tiki sticks and give by hand or crush and mix in some of the Tiki stick to make sure she gets. Also can use churu tubes

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Zobaline is methylcobalamin. Nutramax Cobalequin is cyanocobalamin. Both are B12 but the methylcobalamin is a more natural form while the cyanocobalamine is synthetic. I guess which type to use is preference. If your vet suggests the Nutramax, then maybe give it a try.

Does the vet have a reason why the IBD cat isn't getting B12 injections? Most IBD cats get that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does the vet have a reason why the IBD cat isn't getting B12 injections? Most IBD cats get that.
Thanks! Well to be honest, there's a few reasons. To have her see both cats once a month and get B12 shots would be around $250. I also can't obtain the B12 to administer myself. Lastly, the IBD cat also has IMHA so she gets bloodwork pretty often and hates needles lol. So I was talking with the vet on the most viable option for both of them. ☺

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I give B12 injections monthly to my cat at home. I get the B12 from the vet hospital's in house pharmacy. It was $32 for four 1ml bottles the last time I needed a refill. I use 31 gauge needles so my cat doesn't notice the poke. But totally understand if your vet has a different plan of treatment for your cat :)