Opinion needed

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mom's cat Kike is 15 years old now and has cancer. He is still eating (3 times a day) never leaves the house and basically sleeps all day. I feel so bad for him
We've had him since I was in 7th grade. I think it's time to put him to sleep. My mom is having a hard time making that decision because she says he still eats etc. But just looking at his little face makes me feel like he's miserable and wants it to end. Below is a picture I just snapped of him in the garage.

What would you do if he was your cat? Let him live till he gets really bad and stops eating or end it soon?

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for you and your mom- I know it's extremely hard to face the end of a beloved pet's life.

I hate to say that I don't really know enough about the end stage of a cat's life to make an opinion, but it's true- I don't. I'm married and out on my own, but I never had a house cat (I grew up on a farm, we had barn cats that we'd spay/neuter/vaccinate but it's not the same as having a cat inside, I've found) until I was 22. He's just now six and is thankfully healthy.

Best wishes to you in this horribly difficult situation... I wish I could be of more help.

herekittykitty8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you, your mom, and Kike are all going through such a difficult time.

The only piece of advice/opinion I can give to you is, that even though this sounds impossible - your mom & you will know when the time is right for Kike. It sounds odd, but people usually just "know", and it's usually because we receive some type of vibe/sign from our beloved pet that they are ready to go to the bridge.

You are faced with a horribly difficult situation, and I wish all of you the very best.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would have a word with your vet first to make sure he isn't in any pain, because if it was one of my three and they were in pain l couldn't let them suffer no matter how much l didn't want them to go

I must admit he looks sad in the picture, but ask the advice from your vet. What a sad time for you all

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry to hear that you, your mom, and your sweet boy are going through such a hard time; it's a terrible position to be in, and I can sympathize with both your point of view and your mother's.

I agree with Rosiemac; I'd have a talk with the vet (in my experience, vets are sometimes reluctant to tell you what to do in these situations, but they can at least provide you with information that can help you decide). Sending warm thoughts to all of you.

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you tell at all what the cat wants? I've had two of my cats fight for their lives, whereas the other two just gave up. Try to look in his eyes and see what he tells you. Clear your mind, don't think about it, just feel what the cat is telling you. It sounds weird, but they can communicate their feelings to you.

erinroro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would check with the vet to make sure that Kike is not in pain, and then if he is pain free, I would suggest letting him tell you when he is ready. If you do it and are not sure it is what he wants, it will haunt you - I speak from experience

I am so sorry that you are in this situation..... the important thing is to make sure Kike is not in any pain.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Kike, you and you mom..... This is the hardest decision of all in life. I would take Kike to the vet and see what the vet thinks as far as any pain goes. That will help you at least make the decision. Either way, I feel for what you and this torment you and your mom are going through.
for all of you...

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Along with all the others, I would take him to the vet. That is the only person who can tell you what you need to know.

I know how hard it is. My thoughts are with you and your mom and your old friend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! We actually did take him a couple of days ago. The vet is also a friend of the family and has treated kike since he was a kitten. My mom asked him what would he do if it was his cat and he said to just let him love his last days or weeks and that we would know when it's time. I just feel so bad for him because he looks sad but then at the same time he puts and rubs on you showing his love! I think my mom is right to not want to put him down. Thanks again
I'll keep you posted.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as he's eating okay, using the litter box well, and not in any apparent pain or discomfort, just love on him and treasure the time you have with him. It's very sad and hard to see a beloved pet's life come to an end, but the memories of this time will be so very special for both you and your mom. As trite as it sounds, you will (or your mom in this case) know when the time is right to have him put to sleep if that's needed.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

As long as he's eating okay, using the litter box well, and not in any apparent pain or discomfort, just love on him and treasure the time you have with him.

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you guys. My mom called the vet today to ask for his advice and he said basically the same thing all of you did, if he's eating and using the litter and doesn't seem to be in pain then let him live until its time. I got home from work and fed him. As soon as I walked into the garage he looked at me and starting purring and kneading as usual. I fed him and sat with him until he finished all his food. He drank some water after and then I let him go back to his little corner and relax.

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The time has come for my beloved Kike to be put down
he looks sad, all he does is sleep, is barely eating and has a huge ball on the side of his head. Tomorrow at 9:30am he will finally be at rest

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh hun, you are doing the right thing by Kike in giving him a dignified passing. He knows how much you and your mom love him and he is telling you it is time. My prayers will be with you tomorrow morning. So sorry you will just have one more night with your darling boy. The hardest gift to give our pets is the last one.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry - this is so hard for you and your mom - but your Kike knows how much he's been loved. Bless you all.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BMW Kitty Cat

The time has come for my beloved Kike to be put down
he looks sad, all he does is sleep, is barely eating and has a huge ball on the side of his head. Tomorrow at 9:30am he will finally be at rest
I'll be thinking of you, your mom, and your buddy tomorrow.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that. He's going to be watching over you and playing happily across the Rainbow Bridge.