Opi Ate Some Plastic <-< I Swear I Think He's Part Dog.

Opi-the-furry-conductor

The viking and the princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay so I'm a bit concerned about Opi. A few days ago he spit up what I assumed to be a furrball but I said to myself he's to young to shed that much and he has short fur. Ophelia has long fur but she's still a young kitten and I groom her everyday. So it's not possible for him to have a furrball. So as I cleaned it up and I investigated it. Eww yes I know so gross but I was sanitary about it. I care about my kitties so I look at there poo and spitup for sighns of sickness. It's what you gotta do if you love your cats you just gotta be sanitary about it. To my shock it was plastic! I yelled at his way "You ate plastic! You little bugger how did you get plastic and why on earth did you eat it! "Then I remember seeing his poo the other day looking wierd and I thought it was cotton cause my hubby left it out on the table from one of his vitamins. I investigated the cotton and it was perfect so it was a mystery until that day he spit that up the plastic . I was so angry at him I'm always so careful I have no idea how he got it or why he decided to eat it. My concern is that will he be okay? He show's no signs of being sick just that one spit up. So will my kitty be okay? Or should I take him to the vet?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He should be fine, now that it's out of his system. I would be concerned, however, about why he ate it. My guess is that it was something he was playing with, and he just got carried away, but if it keeps happening there's a possibility that it's pica, in which case you need to find out what he's missing in his diet.

Do your best to keep plastic away from him, of course, as you have been, and just be vigilant.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
He should be fine, now that it's out of his system. I would be concerned, however, about why he ate it. My guess is that it was something he was playing with, and he just got carried away, but if it keeps happening there's a possibility that it's pica, in which case you need to find out what he's missing in his diet.

Do your best to keep plastic away from him, of course, as you have been, and just be vigilant.

Margret
Yes he is very playful. My guess is it had a smell he really liked in it like fish or something and he was like o.o yummy! My only solution is he must of snuck it when I was cooking. He's one sneaky orange ninja that one. Thanks for the advice I'll make sure to be super extra villgent from now on. I'll keep an eye on him to and make sure he's ok with his diet to.

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smell is quite likely, if it may have been something meat was wrapped in, for instance. I had a cat once who ate the string a cross-rib roast had been tied with (which she snuck out of the wastebasket). Now that's dangerous! It dang near killed her. It perforated her intestine and didn't show up on X-ray; the vet had to do exploratory surgery to find out why she was starving to death, and even after he'd removed the string and repaired the intestine she ended up with peritonitis. It took a huge amount of nursing to get her through it.

Margret

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
Smell is quite likely, if it may have been something meat was wrapped in, for instance. I had a cat once who ate the string a cross-rib roast had been tied with (which she snuck out of the wastebasket). Now that's dangerous! It dang near killed her. It perforated her intestine and didn't show up on X-ray; the vet had to do exploratory surgery to find out why she was starving to death, and even after he'd removed the string and repaired the intestine she ended up with peritonitis. It took a huge amount of nursing to get her through it.

Margret
Oh wow I'm glad they came out okay in the end. That must of been scary o.o

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was Velvet, a black long-hair. Before the vet figured it out, she was starving so badly that her body had begun leaching the melanin from her fur as a source of calories. She turned white. Once she was out of danger her fur began growing in black again. She looked quite strange for a while there; a white cat with black roots. It was rather funny, at a time when it felt very good to be able to laugh at her again.

Velvet has been gone for many years now, but not from either starvation or peritonitis. She lived out her life quite happily, except for her annoyance with Toby, my dad's black cockapoo pup. Toby had decided that, as the only other black furry member of the family, Velvet must be his mother. He did his best to emulate her in all things, even to the point of attempting to purr. Unfortunately, it kept coming out as a growl.... Poor, confused baby. :crackup:

Margret

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
That was Velvet, a black long-hair. Before the vet figured it out, she was starving so badly that her body had begun leaching the melanin from her fur as a source of calories. She turned white. Once she was out of danger her fur began growing in black again. She looked quite strange for a while there; a white cat with black roots. It was rather funny, at a time when it felt very good to be able to laugh at her again.

Velvet has been gone for many years now, but not from either starvation or peritonitis. She lived out her life quite happily, except for her annoyance with Toby, my dad's black cockapoo pup. Toby had decided that, as the only other black furry member of the family, Velvet must be his mother. He did his best to emulate her in all things, even to the point of attempting to purr. Unfortunately, it kept coming out as a growl.... Poor, confused baby. :crackup:

Margret
Lol :crackup:that's hilarious which I could of seen that a dog trying to purr lol. How cute they both sound like little darlings. Reminds me a bit of little Ophelia she tries to nurse from Opi every time he purrs lol. I think she thinks of him as a mother rather than her future husband. He seems to adopted her as well he's protective and looks after like a parent rather then another kitten that's only 3 1/2 months younger then him.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Velvet, on the other hand, tended to swat Toby whenever he came near. She just wanted to nap, and Toby was young, large, and rambunctious, and wanted his "mom" to play with him.

By the time my dad got terminal liver cancer, Velvet had crossed the rainbow bridge, to Toby's great puzzlement. All he knew was that one day she disappeared. My folks lived in Oregon, but during my father's final illness they moved back to Colorado to be near me and my father's siblings, and we took care of Toby when he became too much for my parents to handle. There was a large black indoor-outdoor tom cat in the neighborhood at that time, and whenever we'd see him while driving Toby would whine for us to stop and pick "Velvet" up. Shortly after my dad passed, Toby also got liver cancer, and my mom had to have him put to sleep. I really wonder what my dad was spraying his rose bushes with. Toby always "helped" him when he was gardening.

Regarding Opi being Ophelia's future husband, I really do hope that you were speaking metaphorically. It would be better for both cats if they were neutered/spayed, as well as reducing the number of excess kittens seeking homes.

Margret

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
Velvet, on the other hand, tended to swat Toby whenever he came near. She just wanted to nap, and Toby was young, large, and rambunctious, and wanted his "mom" to play with him.

By the time my dad got terminal liver cancer, Velvet had crossed the rainbow bridge, to Toby's great puzzlement. All he knew was that one day she disappeared. My folks lived in Oregon, but during my father's final illness they moved back to Colorado to be near me and my father's siblings, and we took care of Toby when he became too much for my parents to handle. There was a large black indoor-outdoor tom cat in the neighborhood at that time, and whenever we'd see him while driving Toby would whine for us to stop and pick "Velvet" up. Shortly after my dad passed, Toby also got liver cancer, and my mom had to have him put to sleep. I really wonder what my dad was spraying his rose bushes with. Toby always "helped" him when he was gardening.

Regarding Opi being Ophelia's future husband, I really do hope that you were speaking metaphorically. It would be better for both cats if they were neutered/spayed, as well as reducing the number of excess kittens seeking homes.

Margret
Yes it was metaphorically ^-^ I was just being cute. honestly I kinda of regret putting it as metaphorically cause seems everyone is forgive me for saying but jumpy about it. -Sigh- I was just trying to be all cute about it but perhaps I should of just kept my cute typing to myself? I've already talked with my vet to about having Opi fixed and getting an appointment asap so there is no reason for anyone to be concerned or jumpy or anything similar to that :)

Last edited: