Ophelia(help Me With This Cotton Ball!)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
How cute, it sounds like Opi has decided to be the adoptive parent. :loveeyes: :lol:

I hope you manage to figure things out reasonably soon. It may just be anxiety and seeking reassurance from your things but that isn't a habit you want to continue. One month is very young to have been separated from her mom so I am really relieved that Opi seems to have a caring relationship with her. It is lovely to see when cats do that.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay I know little Ophelia is still young so I'm not condemning her. She is about oh maybe a month in half now. I started litter training her the minute I got her. I know she's still a baby so I always keep an eye on her to see if she needs to go. I also encourage her to go as soon as she wakes up and after oh every 4 hours or so. I've even seen her go to litter box even without me coaxing her. I always keep the litter box clean and I have a separate box for Opi cause I know you have to have one for each cat. Her litter box is the right size for her and everything not scented litter either it's plain. Some days I have no problem with her at all and she goes potty all by herself and I may have to catch her maybe once. Then just some days she refuses to use the litter box and I can't understand why o_O. Even when it's right in front of her she will just go on something like my shoe,backpack,shirt,book or one time my hubby was working on a computer he left it unplugged opened and she found it went in and did number 1. I can't understand why she's giving me such a hard time. It's almost always my stuff to that she goes on <.< is this little cotton ball trying to tell me something? I've rescued kittens before and litter trained them all and never had this problem. I even had to bottle feed one and had no problem with litter training. I don't have a whole lot of experience in this stuff I guess. She's a pet shop cat and she had a litter box in her cage when I was looking at her in the pet shop. Opi was a semi feral street cat and was about a month in half or so when we rescued him I never had this problem with him. She's my first pet shop cat and she's a moon faced Persian I've never had one of those so is this the problem? How do I keep her from ruining my stuff :( and doing her business in the right place?
Pretty baby but so young! surprised they're sold from a pet shop so young...I would try to retrain her all over again. And always keep the box in the same spot no food or water dishes near the box if there is. It must be a somewhat quiet area low traffic no noise to startle her. Did you use good old fashioned newspapers to train with at all?
Then if she has issues with clay litter shred newspaper on top. Is the box edge low? easy for her to jump in and out of? You may need to work a little more because she's so young without a mom, even wiping her yourself with a warm cloth when you haven't seen her go pee for a while as you say will help her. Everyone's offered great advice if nothing works then maybe a full vet check up will be worth it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Opi-the-furry-conductor

The viking and the princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
How cute, it sounds like Opi has decided to be the adoptive parent. :loveeyes: :lol:

I hope you manage to figure things out reasonably soon. It may just be anxiety and seeking reassurance from your things but that isn't a habit you want to continue. One month is very young to have been separated from her mom so I am really relieved that Opi seems to have a caring relationship with her. It is lovely to see when cats do that.
Well I did have a break through with her she went all by herself for maybe 4 days straight. I tell you thats a relief because before it was just getting worse. She was climbing on anything she could and doing her business there because there was nothing on the floor. I was at my wits nd telling the hubby if she couldn't be trained soon I'd have to give her up :(. I said I'll give her one more month with extensive training. If she still showed no improvement then I'd have to give her to someone who had more time and patience to deal with her. Thankfully the next day she turned down climbing something to do her business on and ran to her pan. I felt so happy and relived that she did that and continued, Although now she stopped but at least now I know she's learning and there's hope lol. She'll get there soon enough she's still learning. So were getting there and yes Opi acts like her dad :p that big orange fur ball is almost fully grown now he's about 6 1/2 months now.

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
Pretty baby but so young! surprised they're sold from a pet shop so young...I would try to retrain her all over again. And always keep the box in the same spot no food or water dishes near the box if there is. It must be a somewhat quiet area low traffic no noise to startle her. Did you use good old fashioned newspapers to train with at all?
Then if she has issues with clay litter shred newspaper on top. Is the box edge low? easy for her to jump in and out of? You may need to work a little more because she's so young without a mom, even wiping her yourself with a warm cloth when you haven't seen her go pee for a while as you say will help her. Everyone's offered great advice if nothing works then maybe a full vet check up will be worth it.
Well I live in the Arabian peninsula not America rules here are diffrent from US so they can sell them that young but if they're caught they're frowned upon and no one will by from them until the get there act together. Some petshops just don't know any better and when they receive a kitten they don't check for age just if they can eat solid food. I did baby her and act as her mother doing all the proper things cleaning her her after she went potty and she never needed me to wipe her with a cloth she would always go by herself. She's older now still a handful but at least now she is getting the hang of things. Opi and Ophelia are watching me type this lol I believe they both approve XD. One cat on each leg my my now both legs will be asleep soon lol.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s great that she’s turning the corner and getting the hang of the litter box. I think it’s important to remind you that she was such a small baby when you got her that she may have more challenges than most in developing manners.

Also, you’ve made a commitment to her. Don’t get stressed and think about getting rid of her. You’ve brought her into your family, and you have to realize that no one else is better prepared to handle a kitten who needs more lessons. Rehoming a kitten or cat with issues is very often a death sentence for the animal.

Keep learning together!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can we see a picture of Ophelia?
Sorry I couldn't help myself.

“When down her weedy trophies and herself
Fell in the weeping brook. Her clothes spread wide;
And, mermaid-like, awhile they bore her up:
Which time she chanted snatches of old tunes;
As one incapable of her own distress,
Or like a creature native and indued
Unto that element: but long it could not be
Till that her garments, heavy with their drink,
Pull’d the poor wretch from her melodious lay
To muddy death."

(Ophelia)
― William Shakespeare, Hamlet

Last edited:

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else and think that Ophelia will use her box exclusively as she gets older. She really is awfully young and was taken from her mom way too soon. Some kittens just take a bit longer to get with the program but I know she will come around.

We need a picture!

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol xD no problem, I probaly would of done the same thing lol. You know come to think of it Ophelia doesn't really mind the water when I give her a bath. Could this be a sign o.o lol jk

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else and think that Ophelia will use her box exclusively as she gets older. She really is awfully young and was taken from her mom way too soon. Some kittens just take a bit longer to get with the program but I know she will come around.

We need a picture!
I'll give you a recent one either later today or early tomorrow k. I also agree with everyone she's shown proof that she just needs time and dedication and a lot of patience.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol xD no problem, I probaly would of done the same thing lol. You know come to think of it Ophelia doesn't really mind the water when I give her a bath. Could this be a sign o.o lol jk
ACK! No, we don't want that to be a sign, lol. Life didn't end well for Shakespeare's Ophelia. YOUR Ophelia though is going to have an AWESOME long life, full of many, many, many successful trips to the litter box!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats really don't need baths. They are self-cleaning and they are the cleanest beings there are -- much cleaner than humans.
I hope you will commit to her because as others have said, there could be serious problems trying to adopt out a kitten with issues, which are no fault of hers but caused because she was taken too soon from her mother, who would have taught her litterbox use. Also, adoption should be for life, not for convenience. Through thick and thin, in sickness and in health. Because when you love someone, you are loyal to them for life.

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats really don't need baths. They are self-cleaning and they are the cleanest beings there are -- much cleaner than humans.
I hope you will commit to her because as others have said, there could be serious problems trying to adopt out a kitten with issues, which are no fault of hers but caused because she was taken too soon from her mother, who would have taught her litterbox use. Also, adoption should be for life, not for convenience. Through thick and thin, in sickness and in health. Because when you love someone, you are loyal to them for life.
Oh of course I commit to having her I wouldn't of gotten her if I didn't expect to keep her for life. When I adopt a cat I adopt them for life. I'm very committed and patient with her I love her very much and I understand she's very young and I don't judge her. I've never gotten rid of a cat that I've adopted. I've done everything I could to help her and support her because I love her and she's my little baby girl <3. THe only reason why I said I considered giving her away if she should no improvements was because she was climbing all over everything to do her business and that was very stressfull I'm also a very busy working person I feared my apt might become her entire litter box if she never changed. If I had of given her away I would of made sure it was to a good dedicated home. That was my last very last option though and I made sure to give her lots of time before I ever considered finding someone. She has since made much improvement this month which I'm glad and I expected so I no longer have to worry about that and I'll never give her away <3. Also I only give her bath when she needs one I know cats are very clean animals and never need baths. I never give opi a bath unless he's cover in something gross that he can't clean off himself. Ophelia I've had to give a bath first off cause she was infested with hundreds of flea eggs and fleas she was a walking flea nest. Then at one point she had runny bathrom issues so I had to clean her booty a lot. At one point she was absolutely covered in some kind of gunk so I had to give her bath. I don't do it a lot only when it's absolutely necessary. Most of the time if she's dirty I pick her up and show her to Opi and say "Opi give her a bath she's filthy" I kid you not hand to God he cleans her right up lol. He's such a good boy <3

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you’re missing our point, which is that rehoming a cat with issues is almost impossible. You said you were adopting for life and still wanted to rehome, so who else would want her?

I’m glad you’ve seen improvement and are feeling better, though.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh of course I commit to having her I wouldn't of gotten her if I didn't expect to keep her for life. When I adopt a cat I adopt them for life. I'm very committed and patient with her I love her very much and I understand she's very young and I don't judge her. I've never gotten rid of a cat that I've adopted. I've done everything I could to help her and support her because I love her and she's my little baby girl <3. THe only reason why I said I considered giving her away if she should no improvements was because she was climbing all over everything to do her business and that was very stressfull I'm also a very busy working person I feared my apt might become her entire litter box if she never changed. If I had of given her away I would of made sure it was to a good dedicated home. That was my last very last option though and I made sure to give her lots of time before I ever considered finding someone. She has since made much improvement this month which I'm glad and I expected so I no longer have to worry about that and I'll never give her away <3. Also I only give her bath when she needs one I know cats are very clean animals and never need baths. I never give opi a bath unless he's cover in something gross that he can't clean off himself. Ophelia I've had to give a bath first off cause she was infested with hundreds of flea eggs and fleas she was a walking flea nest. Then at one point she had runny bathrom issues so I had to clean her booty a lot. At one point she was absolutely covered in some kind of gunk so I had to give her bath. I don't do it a lot only when it's absolutely necessary. Most of the time if she's dirty I pick her up and show her to Opi and say "Opi give her a bath she's filthy" I kid you not hand to God he cleans her right up lol. He's such a good boy <3
So glad to hear this! I would have been shocked otherwise because you seem like a very caring person.
I've had to "half-bathe" two of my elder cats when they became incontinent; I just ran warm water and put cruelty-free shampoo in it, and lowered their hind ends into this, then did the same again with clear water a couple of times to rinse, and towelled them dry.

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
Your profile is restricted, I can't.
It is o_O I didn't know thhat. How can I chaange it?I took a picture now for you. Sorry for the bad quality and the late reply my tablet is great but when it comes to taking pictures so bad camera lol. I've also been very busy. I've checked my albums but I can't find out howhow to even tell if it's restricted?

she's an adorable little cotton ball but a lot of work lol. She loves to go full face first in her food xD and just get all messy. I won't complain though I knew before I got her that persians need daily grooming. This was after her fur brushing and face cleaning.

Last edited:

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, she's much better looking than Hamlet's Ophelia! And probably saner too.

She really is super cute. Thanks for sharing.

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, she's much better looking than Hamlet's Ophelia! And probably saner too.

She really is super cute. Thanks for sharing.
Sometimes I wonder about the sane part lol xD jk. Thank you and no problem.