Opening Door To 2 Strays

pearjas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I thought I’d reach out for some possible advice on a stray cat situation (haha) I’ve found myself in. In May of 2020, my “in house cat” passed away at age 17 from cancer. For the first time since early childhood, I did not have any pets living in house. There are two cats, however, living outside that I have been feeding for years. I bring them in when it gets real cold as well, however I always had to separate them from my “in house cat” before.

I’ve been making baby steps to giving them both a home. I have some decisions to make though. On September 5, I “rescued” at cat that was dumped at a nearby gas station and that’s the wild card to the situation. She is under a year old and she’s been living with me since September 5. It appears she’s likely been previously abused and she doesn’t seem to react kindly to other cats (she even hides her food that I give him despite her being the only cat inside right now).

It appears this new cat, named Lucky (because that’s what she is, haha) is here to stay. Now in regards to the other cats.. the oldest one is named “Dave”. He is a Maine Coon, about 10 years old or so. He is very dominating and controlling of other cats. He officially owns my property I think and he’s been a fixture to my front porch (and elsewhere) since Feb, 2017. I have no idea what his story is, but he seems to enjoy being outside for the most part.

I feel bad for him for obvious reasons, in addition to how it seems like everyone else he’s gotten close to has left the neighborhood (next door is a rental so that happens). His best friend kitty, the only one I’ve ever seen him befriend passed away of old age years ago. I’m trying to give him the best live he can have and he’s been seen by a mobile vet twice this year.

The other is a female named “Kitty”; a calico cat. She was dumped in the summer of 2013 (I remember that because I remember what I was dealing with at work, haha). She has bonded with others as well and is very timid and scared. She comes, eats, then leaves…and if she stays, Dave is sure to make sure he lets her know she’s not welcomed to stay long. She was a kitten when dumped so I estimate her age to be around 7. While I’m not sure if Dave was ever a house cat, I know Kitty has not been. One misc note, I do know Dave has FIV – at least a family that tried to take him in before he came over here said they took him to the vet and it was confirmed that he did.

I purchased both Dave and Kitty flea treatment (Revolution) via a mobile vet last week that came to see Lucky. With winter approaching, I’m dreading this more each day but yet it’s something I want to do…but should I? and How? I’ve began to think Dave might be best staying put outside where he seems comfortable and enjoys patrolling. Kitty and Lucky look a lot alike and could be sisters. I plan on getting Lucky’s claws taken out soon and would have likely already done so if not for this situation…but with that, I would need to take Kitty’s out as well… Is it safe to declaw a 7 year old cat? I know after she was declawed, it would be no more outside for her as well, which would change her world completely. How she would co-exist with Lucky is unknown but so far they hate each other when looking at each other outside.

The thought of all this is overwhelming and I’m afraid I’m going to make a decision and be like “Oh I should have done this first”, etc.

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Have the cats been fixed? Coco was outside for 2 yrs before I rescued her. Now she is afraid of the outdoors. If you take them in then change your mind, try to get them adopted. Why do you want her declawed?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I plan on getting Lucky’s claws taken out soon and would have likely already done so if not for this situation…but with that, I would need to take Kitty’s out as well… Is it safe to declaw a 7 year old cat? I know after she was declawed, it would be no more outside for her as well, which would change her world completely.
Hi P pearjas . I'm leaving your questions for our wonderful members who know far more than I do about these things. However I do need to point out the TCS is an anti-clawing site. You'll find it in our Forum Rules:
4. This website is anti-declawing. Understand that if you are pro-declaw in your posts, you will encounter opposition. Please learn more about alternatives for declawing

You will find a great deal of opposition to it here. Where I am from (Australia) it is illegal as it is considered cruel. It's the same in the UK. I do understand, though, that in the US it is still carried out, and I'm thinking perhaps you're not aware of how invasive this procedure is and how debilitating it can be.
Here are some articles for you:

Having said that, hopefully our members will be able to advise you on your other issues. :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much for considering giving these cats a home. There is absolutely no need to declaw them. All you need to do is make sure they are treated for parasites and make an appointment to have them all spayed or neutered, if they haven't been fixed already.

I have multiple former feral and stray cats in my home. They all get along well. One cat is FIV+ but she lives happily with the other cats. A declawed cat is more likely to bite as she has no other way to defend herself, so getting a cat declawed won't help them get along any better with each other, if that was your reason for considering it.

Even cats that don't seem like they will get along can learn to tolerate each other if the introductions are done properly. Here's an article that might help. Lots of TCS members have multiple cats at home and a lot of us have taken in strays, so we can help you through the process of bringing them indoors.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have brought in strays and ferals at all different times in my life, depending on need. Some were adopted and some stayed. Unless you have a bonded pair or a cat who is very friendly, most cats don't jump into each other's arms overjoyed at first.

If you read the articles and follow the steps, this will more than likely work. It can be a process, but in the end it has always worked for me and most of the time I have brought adult cats into the home with the intention of having them be indoor only. It has not ever failed. I have had cats not be friends, but they learn to respect each others spaces and get along.

It is very kind of you to take care of all these poor cats who have had such a rough start.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pearjas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. Right now, Lucky is inside and her claws are not an issue...Kitty, the other cat I was going to break in often claws at my furniture endlessly. That's really the only issue. I've bought a cover but it doesn't seem to always help..so that's why I was inquiring. I am reading through the links I was given though. "Soft paws" is something very interesting. I've never heard of that before. Hoping maybe some vets around here can do that. They are all fixed.