Opening Cans Of Food

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a trick to it? Today and yesterday I sliced my finger in the exact same spot opening a Weru can. They fit tight so I have to yank at it. Ouch! Be sure cats are out of the way and keep Kleenex close by. Wear gloves? Also buying the smaller cans from now on

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've noticed some poptop cans are just about impossible.
Maybe some kind of leverage, like...maybe lift the tab, put the handle of a spoon through the tab and then grab ahold of the spoon ....hmmm I'll have to try this.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I too have suffered from the cuts of cat food can lids... maybe use a can opener? Even if there's a tab.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed some poptop cans are just about impossible.
Maybe some kind of leverage, like...maybe lift the tab, put the handle of a spoon through the tab and then grab ahold of the spoon ....hmmm I'll have to try this.
maggie101 maggie101 - Yep - using the handle of a spoon - slipped through the pull tab - is the answer. Archimedes was right: "give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world open the Friskies."

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got a freebie plastic canned food opener thing (emblazoned with the Fancy Feast logo) years ago at a cat show. It worked really well. Sadly I lost it in the abyss of my parents' cluttered kitchen :frown: The blade of a butter knife or scissors works well to pry the tab up enough to grab. A bottle opener might also work.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a can opener that doesn't leave any sharp parts. Having the peeled-off lids around makes me nervous, lol. I don't think I've ever cut myself on one but my brain thinks they're a big threat ;).

I have an electric one, because I have a lot of cat food cans to open!
But there are hand-operated models too:

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have arthritus in my hands and and was advised by the hand therapist (yes, that is a real profession) not to use my fingers in order to prevent further damage. I was looking around and found a utensil that I bought a while back to remove upholstery tacks and staples. It is the size of a screwdriver but looks like a mini crowbar. It is bent at the end
. I put the bent edge under the ring, pull back, then turn the can around and pull off the lid. A screwdriver would probably work, but the bend at the top keeps the ring from slipping off. I got it at a hardware store. I am sorry I have not figured out how to upload pics yet.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maggie101 maggie101 - Yep - using the handle of a spoon - slipped through the pull tab - is the answer. Archimedes was right: "give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world open the Friskies."
:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:
When you're a cat, opening the Friskies is better than moving the world.
Remember those old pudding-in-metal-cans that you could buy in single servings? Do you have any idea what it's like to be 40 miles away from home, have that stupid ring come off with no can opener in sight? It was like being a 4 year old again :(
I may or may not have cried like a toddler.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a bottle opener from Pampered Chef. It's made to open like large soda bottles; but it also has a slot for pop tops. And a good magnet so it stick to the fridge.

Usually my long finger nails are enough. Sometimes I place the side of my opposite hand on top of the can and start to peel back and thats enough to get it moving. It really seems to depend on the brand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have arthritus in my hands and and was advised by the hand therapist (yes, that is a real profession) not to use my fingers in order to prevent further damage. I was looking around and found a utensil that I bought a while back to remove upholstery tacks and staples. It is the size of a screwdriver but looks like a mini crowbar. It is bent at the end
. I put the bent edge under the ring, pull back, then turn the can around and pull off the lid. A screwdriver would probably work, but the bend at the top keeps the ring from slipping off. I got it at a hardware store. I am sorry I have not figured out how to upload pics yet.
The magic can opener also for bottles is for arthritic hands which I don't have it looked like a good gadget to have

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have long fingernails and I won't use them to open cans. At feeding time, I grab three cans of food and a butter knife. Slip the knife through the tab and pop the tab. Then pull the lid off. I've had the tab break off; then I just take the butter knife and move it around under the lid to loosen the lid, the pop the lid off with the knife. The butter knife works fine.

I do the same thing with soda cans and the butter knife. Not using my nails!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh. I've never had a single problem with the metal poptop cans. It's the little plastic trays that always cut me and leave me bleeding.