open sore on leg

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat, Oliver, has an open sore on the backside of his rear leg. Not a cut or a gash, but more like an abrasion from wrestling around with Whisky. Is this something I could use Neosporin on??? Or do I need something from the vet??

Thanks,
Keith

safron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've always heard neosporin is toxic to cats. Try using triple antibiotic ointment or aloe vera gel.

Does it look like a worn area or is it red and irritated? Lucy has worn areas on the back of her hindlegs. I took her to the vet and they said it was from the heat(it's almost 100degrees during the day). Keep an eye on the abrasion & take him to the vet if it is not healing.

-safron

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's worn from him licking it and it's red and irritated. What is the name of the triple antibiotic ointment?? Should I wrap the leg after I apply to keep it from rubbing off???

Thank you,
Keith

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Mycitracin for a triple antibiotic, but I have seen others, even store brands (Wal Mart) that just says "Triple Antibiotic". It should be in the same section as you would find Neosporin.

cooie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry, safron, but triple antibiotic ointment IS neosporin! It is the brand name for bacitracin-neomycin-polymyxin - read your label. And it is perfectly safe for, and often prescribed for, cats. The only danger is from anaphylactic shock due to allergy, which can occur anytime a drug derived from molds is used, even in people.

However, judging from your description of the wound, it sounds like it may be a burst abcess, and as such will need something less dilute than an over-the-counter topical antibiotic. He really should be taken to the vet, since these things, even after they burst, can get nasty really quickly.

safron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cooie- I wonder why I thought that. Is neosporin safe for dogs? Maybe that is what I was thinking.

-safron

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am going to move this over to the health forum for ya. Here is a very comprehensive website about what medications for humans are and are not good for cats.

Poison link

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
that used as a topical ointment on an animal, it is safe, however if the animal ingests the neosporin it could cause problems, though the animal would have to ingest a bit of it for it to do so.

badhabit

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, if that is the concern then if you do decide to apply the ointment keep him busy for a few minutes so it has a chance to absorb. Put it on right before feeding him or play a game with him but even if he was to ingest a bit of it, it shouldn't hurt him.

safron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, hissy, that makes sense.

-saf

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hissy-Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it.

After I apply the ointment, couldn't I just wrap his leg with an ace bandage??

Thanks