Open Nature Cat Food?

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw Open Nature at Safeway yesterday and it's only $0.80 for a 5.5 oz can, so I grabbed one to ask you all about. There's no information online yet since it seems to be Safeway's new brand. I don't think it looks great, but it also could be worse. I don't like that it has both guar gum and carrageenan. It comes in both shreds and what I assume to be pate since the texture isn't specified. There's also dry food that comes in a grain free formula.

The ingredients for the "Chicken & Beef Dinner Adult Cat Food:"

Chicken, chicken broth, dried potatoes, beef, peas, dried egg product, carrots, brewers rice, barley, guar gum, ground flaxseed, potassium chloride, dried cranberries, dried blueberries, apples, choline chloride, carrageenan, taurine, inulin, yucca schidigera extract, dried kelp, salt, dried parsley, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, sodium selenite, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 9%
Crude Fat (min) 6%
Crude Fiber (max) 1.5%
Moisture (max) 78%
Vitamin E (min) 25 IU/KG
Taurine (min) 0.05%
Omega-6 Fatty Acids (min) 0.50%
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min) 0.10%

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A bit higher in fat and carbs than i like to feed. and im not a big fan of peas, potatoes, or carrageenan in foods. But as you say, for a bargain price, its not bad for a grocery store brand, there is much worse out there. Due to the Carrageenan i personally would not feed it every day, but in a rotation if you are not set against Carageeenan it doesnt look bad. Do your cats like it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried it with my cat yet since she has a couple other cans open right now, but I'll definitely be trying it in the next couple days. I bought the Chicken& Beef and the Turkey & Giblets.

I figure if she likes it I could keep it in mind as emergency food if I were to ever screw up and run out of canned after the feed stores close.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She ate the turkey and giblets without complaint! I even let her have it without mixing any raw in to get a fully accurate test. I'm not sure it's quite yummy enough to persuade her to eat it with raw mixed in (she's not a fan of raw yet), but It's solid on it's own. This food will definitely work in a pinch.

Ninareya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I got a big sack of Open Nature adult dry cat food chicken & chickpea recipe. Honestly my cats don't like it at all. I am not sure why because they eat everything. I have to mix it with wet food to get them to eat it.

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats will eat the dry version, but they all turned their noses up at the wet food. I tried the turkey and giblets and the shredded chicken. One of them actually hissed at me lol

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is there “any” food out there that does not contain fish? It seems like whenever I lookup a brand someone has mentioned on this site they all have fish.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there “any” food out there that does not contain fish? It seems like whenever I lookup a brand someone has mentioned on this site they all have fish.
Not all fish is an instant red flag. Mercury levels are higher in bigger/older fish. There are brands that use smaller/younger fish like Skipjack in their foods to reduce mercury levels. But yes, I do find it strange that fish seems to be added to flavors that don't state they are primarily fish.