Open House Tips w/ a cat

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience / tips for when doing an open house (2 hours)?

We are in a Condo, 1 Bedroom, we had a few showings yesterday, I was able to take Oscar w/ me to a friends.

Looking for some ideas on what to do or tips for an open house.

Thanks!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No experience, however, I think for a singular showing, with a realtor and one prospective buyer, just a sign on the door, saying "please don't let the cat out" might be enough.

But for an open house with multiple people strolling through, I think I'd highly recommend taking Oscar with you again, or even boarding him for the day, if that wasn't possible.

Found this on Google, btw:
What to Do With a Cat During a House Showing? | Hepper

Good luck with the sale. Hope it goes quickly and smoothly.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they don't mind a closed space (mine like closets), perhaps they'd like some quiet time there? I don't think restricting access to one closet would adversely impact an open house. Do they have a trusted friend or relative? Maybe they could go there for an afternoon.

Hannah531

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just finished showing our house (just entered contract this am) and our cat was chill to be in the carrier either tucked in the closet (it’s a big closet w/airflow) or in a corner by my desk.
The big component being a carrier.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Following! Eventually will be moving (in a couple of years to retire) and this has been on my mind a lot.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would bring him with you elsewhere. He might be ok if crated at home; but I’d feel better having him with me.

I think my girls just hid; but we never had an open house.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We had a bad experience when we used to live in a condo. There were signs on the patio doors not to open because they led out to a balcony and our two cats were indoor only. Sure enough when we got home the patio door was closed BUT one cat was out on the balcony. 😱 I was absolutely livid. Ever since then I never allowed an open house. Many homes do a virtual tour now anyway.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my parents sold their house (I was also living with them at the time), we packed up all the animals into the cars and then just sat in the parking lot of a nearby park for awhile when we had to be out of the house for like 2 hours. When I viewed the house I ended up buying, the previous owners had their cats still in the house while I toured it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once went to an open house where they had all the pets in the farthest corner of the laundry room, in crates with the doors turned to the wall and towels on top, with papers taped on that said DO NOT TOUCH!!! in big bold letters. If you can't get them out of the house that would probably be the best way to do it. Never trust random people to not let pets out.