Open Abscess, Is This Normal? (kind Of Graphic) Photo Attached

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I'm just back from the vet with my poor Scamp who managed to get an abscess on his back. He was in overnight and the vet sedated him to clean it out etc today. I was wondering if anyone could advise me as I'm worried about how the wound looks, it seems very open to me, is this normal to be allowed home like this? Is there anything I can do for him?

The vet has given me medication to be given twice a day starting tomorrow but it's to be syringed into his mouth, I haven't been given anything to be applied topically to the wound itself.

Apologies for the photo but I'm quite worried about the poor little mite...

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so so much for replying Furrballsmum, unfortunately my vet has closed for the night but I will check in again tomorrow morning. That photo was taken within fifteen minutes I'd say of leaving the vet, unfortunately I didn't see the wound while there as they'd already put him in his carrier for me. The vet just told me about the oral medication and to keep an eye on it and to phone with an update in four/five days...

I'm not great with blood have to say but that aside, it just looks so rough and manhandled I'd hate to think Scamp is in any discomfort.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bless your heart, hang in there! I'm sending loads of healing thoughts!!
Let us know what they say about it :vibes::crossfingers:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty! Olive had an abscess that burst at home. We ended up applying some kitty Neosporin to it (basically a topical antibiotic left over from her previous surgery). I believe even actual Neosporin works as long as there are no painkillers in it.

Hope Scamp feels better soon!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually it's best if it stays open at least for a bit. Even though it was cleaned out thoroughly there is still stuff that needs to continue draining. If it closes over too soon and traps stuff then it's start all over with an abscess again. It's best if they heal from the inside out. I know it's nasty looking but that is the nature of abscesses.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen broken abscesses look much worse.
I've HAD abscesses before, and IME they hurt bad...until they burst. When they burst, it's horrifying to see (and gross if your stomach isn't p to par), but trust me, that pressure and pain is relieved when the thing finally busts open. It looks worse now but I'll bet your cat feels much better having it busted open, then cleaned out.
I hope you called your vet if you're concerned, otherwise, keep it as clean as you can and spoil your cat. :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for replying! I don't live in the States so my vet doesn't open again for a couple of hours. I'll still phone them just to check in once open but it's comforting to know that it's not unusual for the wound to look like that. It actually looks a bit better this morning and Scamp seems to have perked up a little bit.:hearthrob:

Thanks again all of you, I was pretty worried!