Oops.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
White doesn't count when it comes to "boys get their mother's coloring" :D. Just to be confusing, lol. White is a masking color so she has a genetic color "under" the white. But if she's dominant white all her babies will be white too, both sexes. If she's not dominant white about half of them will be (if she has more).

What a cutie! We'll need a lot more pictures as the kitty grows!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update.
I'm finally home after what feels like forever. Princess' neck had been healing prior to birth but I suppose because of stress and hormones she has scratched herself raw all the way around her neck. I slathered her in ointment and brushed her really good. I'm not mad at my family so much for not treating her just because I know they're not as well versed in cats as I am, but it upsets me that they didn't tell me she was struggling.
The baby, is for sure a he, and is fat and healthy and completely happy. He feels like plush velvet, she let me hold me and look him over while purring the entire time and he didn't even cry. He is a pure white as well, same pink underskin as his mama. I'm so excited for his eyes to open, he already moves around so much and is starting to try and stand.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also question- she is literally pulling the hair out of her neck and scratching it raw. I've put her ointment on it but it's literally the way around her neck like a collar of scabs. She doesn't mind me touching it so I don't think she's necessarily in pain, but what could have caused this?
When I first brought her home she had a massive bare place under her throats that the vet determined as a flea allergy. Well she's 100% flea free as I ensured that before the baby came and it's a million times worse than it was when she did have fleas.
I just don't know what to do, she's my baby and I want her to be as comfortable as possible and I know the cream helps with the itching and the healing part but it doesn't fix whatever the underlying issue is.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She'll need to see a vet. This sounds bad.

The vet will take a skin scraping and look at it under the microscope. It is probably mites.

The vet needs to give you prescription medication. He can also give her a shot of cortisone to control the itching so she stops scratching.

I'm sorry it is worse. :(

Azalea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had a similar situation recently, a neck wound (bite from mating) that didn't heal properly for months, and she scratched and licked until she opened up a third open wound beneath it. It was also around her neck like part of a collar. Sarthur's advice is usually really good so I think she's probably right :p In my case it was an abscess. The infection from the wound was pretty deep and you couldn't see it until the vet injected it and the whole area around her neck swelled up. External stuff didn't help because it was hidden underneath the skin, but she could still feel it itching. And after the injection and a weeks worth of antibiotics the whole thing healed up and her fur is growing back now :)

I hope you find out what's wrong and she gets better!

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys. I plan to take her to the vet as soon as possible and if she didn't have the baby I would take her this second. She gets extremely stressed in the car and I would need to bring the baby because the vet is a good ride away so she wouldn't be back home in time to feed him properly.
So sigh, I am going to call the vet first thing in the morning and attempt to hold off another week until the baby is at least old enough to hold out without her a bit longer than he is now so that I won't have to transport him. They're so vulnerable at this age that I just don't want to accidentally expose him to something harmful.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
haleyds haleyds

I would not wait a week. I would take mom and baby so treatment can start. Mom will be calmer with her baby with her. Baby stays in the carrier while the vet examines mom.

Mom needs to get better. You don't want this to spread to the baby!

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMG_5404.JPG IMG_5403.JPG Okay I will make an appointment tomorrow and hopefully we will be in by Thursday.
Here are some pictures of the baby, he is constantly moving lol.
He has a small black smudge on his nose, I can't tell if it's an actual color spot or if he's just snubbed on while nursing lol.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay we have an appointment for Friday because that's the only day I could see my vet that had seen Princess previously and I didn't want to change and further stress her.
Question though, today is day 14 since birth and little man shows no signs of wanting to open his eyes. I read that it takes longer for long haired kittens to open their eyes but still the max number I've seen is 14. Should I worry or just believe in the system lol?

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Growing well it looks like! Is it possible mom has a food allergy?
I hadn't really considered that, my mom had switched her to a cheaper dry food within this last week because I wasn't here to get it myself. She had even said that princess hadn't really started digging until this last week. I'm going to switch her food back to the high quality food she was on before.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boyfriends cocker spaniel has a gluten/corn intolerance and he throws up food with that in it so I never even thought of a food allergy showing up in the skin, but that happens in people all the time. Honestly that makes so much sense overall because the initial food she was on was very poor quality, and when I put her on my go to food that's grain free the wound started healing. Oh my gosh, thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten's eyes should open soon. Just in case they are crusty, hold a warm wet cloth on them for a few minutes to soften anything, but do not force them open.

If they show no signs of opening by Friday, take him with you to the vet.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Fairly common for true food allergies to cause itching in animals. Food intolerance usually shows up as vomiting or loose stools.

You'll want to try a grain free food many animals are allergic to corn and other grains. If that doesn't help then you may have to try a novel protein diet.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So question, why is mama literally screaming all the time?! It's been absolutely non stop since yesterday and it keeps getting worse. It's like if someone isn't holding her/has a hand on her she is screaming at the top of her lungs. I had to move to the couch last night and close my bedroom door just to try and get some sleep. Is there something wrong? There's no way she can possibly be in heat just two and a half weeks after birth right....

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could be in heat. Is she eating and using the litter box normally?