Oops.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I had a post a couple of days ago about how I wasn't planning on adopting a little male kitten into the family. Upon browsing Craigslist (my first and fatal mistake) I found a one year old female persian. She was doll faced with a perfect button nose and solid white with green eyes. I had to have her of course.
So I drove the two and a half hours away on the promise of her already being spayed, up to date on shots, and in perfect condition.
Well upon arrival she had been kept outside, number one red flag. She had a huge scab on her neck from a "fight" and she had fleas. No records of said shots.
I took her anyway. She is the sweetest cat I have ever met in my entire life and she won me over instantly and I had to get her out of that situation. I've since brushed her and cleaned her and gotten her as beautiful as I can, but I guess what I'm getting at is she wasn't spayed.
I'm nearly 90% positive she's pregnant as well.
Tight round tummy, big and bright pink nipples. No spay scar at all.
I only got her yesterday, so I'm taking her to the vet first thing tomorrow for a sure opinion.
Just wondering what signs to look out for in the meantime to try and determine whether she really is or not. It doesn't matter to me, I love her and I've raised enough kittens to be ready for this but I just think the circumstances around this all are just horrible.
I will upload pictures when I get a chance to take some

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I am considering the kitty abortion like mentioned in one of the above articles but I figure if I'm able to feel the swelling she will be too far along for that to be humane.
I will update this after our visit tomorrow, whenever they can get us in as our only 24 hour vet is for emergencies only and not even our local petsmart takes new patients. Aka you're out of luck on the weekend if you have a non emergency but nonetheless important animal issue haha.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I couldn't get an appointment until tomorrow afternoon, that's the only time where I wouldn't be just having to drop her off there and hoping they work her in.
If she is pregnant I read to feed her kitten chow, so I have her on purina pro plan complete kitten show and salmon/chicken wet food twice a day. Half the can in the morning and half in the evening. Is this okay? She has dry out all day and she drinks lots of water.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, that's good, but she will need more wet food meals if she is supporting a pregnancy. Hopefully you'll know tomorrow.

An X-ray is not safe at this early stage, but an ultrasound will show the pregnancy if the vet is not sure.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay update from the vet, she's in pretty decent condition. She's two, and not nearly as covered in fleas as I thought but she does have a flea allergy that causes her to scratch excessively. So on an antihistamine and after a bath from good topical flea medicine. She did get her rabies shot, butttt she's for sure pregnant with 2-3 kittens. About a month or a little over in so only about a month left. Kind of excited in a grandmother kind of way lol, but I'm just hoping to get her in a happy healthy condition before the babies come.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The vet gave her a rabies shot? :(

It is contraindicated in pregnant queens. It can cause miscarriage and birth defects.

I'm surprised a vet would vaccinate a pregnant queen.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I can find, modified-live vaccines are a big no-no for pregnant cats, as they cause cerebellar hypoplasia in the kittens. But killed-virus vaccines (rabies vaccines are killed), while not recommended for pregnant cats unless 100% necessary, probably won't harm the kittens. Personally I would have waited---it's unlikely she's going to meet up with a rabid animal in the next few months ;)---but don't panic! The babies should be fine.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only reason I allowed him to give her rabies is because she needs professionally grooming very badly since she had been left out on her own and they will not handle a cat without the rabies vaccine. By my reading and research killed vaccines won't harm the babies or her, but for her health to improve she had to have it. I wrestled with it a lot but my vet assured me it would be okay and he did not even suggest any other vaccine besides rabies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The babies should be okay! It's good she did not have any other vaccines.

Keep us posted on her pregnancy! :)

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay so I am out of town on a two week vacation and kitty just went into labor back home with my mom and just gave birth to her first kitten a little while ago. I feel horrible because I was told she wasn't due until the week of the 4th, but she was a rescue so we obviously couldn't be sure and I know I couldn't cancel a year long planned trip just to try and be home for this- sigh I really prayed she was going to have them the fourth when I am home.
But anyway! She's in a lamp shade in my room under my high legged night stand lol, which is tight but nonetheless good because all of her things are in there. The baby is a good healthy size and is starting to nurse, mom has to cut the umbilical because mama did not offer to chew it after 30 mins. I will be weighing when I'm home but I can't ask my mom to do that because she over complicates everything and would make a stressful mess of things lol. But on FT he was actually pretty large, and we are patiently waiting for the second and possibly third baby to come along. I told her that it can take hours between babies and not to worry if they don't pop out one after another.
Princess is already proving to be an excellent mother and besides not being able to be with her I'm relatively sure of her ability to do this.
Super happy and super sad all at the same time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awesome! Thanks for the update. Hope the next deliveries go well also.

When she is all done your mom should move her and babies into a bigger nest tomorrow.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I called my mom this morning and she said she had not given birth to anymore kittens. Is this okay and is there a possibility that she only had the one large kitten? I feel that if she could get him out that there wouldn't have been a problem with getting anymore out? She hasn't had anymore signs of labor either since he was born.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She either only has one kitten, or she will have the others when they and her body are ready.

This is not unusual at all. Cats can have pauses in labor of hours or days. As long as mom cat is acting normally there is no cause for concern. :)

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay good, she seems happy and I made them move the lamp shade and give her towels and a heating pad under the nightstand. She is all stretched out and the baby is suckling.
Here's the best picture I've gotten prior to the towels and what not- good thing we were planning to replace the carpet in the room anyway :crackup:
I still think he looks like a big boy.

Attachments

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMG_5332.JPG Here's another pictures of what seems to be our only baby boy. I keep calling it a "he" because he's white and I assume that means boy- but who knows. Maybe it's a pointed baby girl lol.