Oops.... Gender Mix Up

AnimalCrossing12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
Dropped off my little 6 month old kitty at the vets today to be spayed... a few hours later, the vet phones me. Kitty is lying out on the table ready for the op... but the vet has just realised that she is in fact a boy... :jawdrop: I was shocked... I feel so embarrassed. She he is a long haired cat and the vet assures me that this happens sometimes, but... I still feel stupid. Especially as we've had him for a few months and I have been brushing him daily and he has a bath every now and then. :nervous: I thought that either me or my partner would have noticed... something. :freak: The kitty came with a health check certificate from another vets (I have checked this vets and it is real, kitty has an ID there) saying they were female; and they were smaller than the other male kittens in the litter so I just assumed that's what they were! Feeling really daft just dropping him off at a new vets for a spaying :salute:! Someone please assure me that this is a thing that happens.... I can't get used to the idea that the kitty is really a boy!! 🤣

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, yep, I knew another longhaired kitty who was dropped off to be spayed and instead got neutered. And one black cat. . .the owners were kind of new to cat ownership so I don't know if it was because of him being black so it's hard to see or just because they didn't know what to look for.

I bet it happens all the time. Will he be getting a name change?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got Charlie, his testicles hadn't dropped yet and I thought he was a girl. The vet told me otherwise the very next day, but that was the first time I had ever messed up on that :lol:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi all,
Dropped off my little 6 month old kitty at the vets today to be spayed... a few hours later, the vet phones me. Kitty is lying out on the table ready for the op... but the vet has just realised that she is in fact a boy... :jawdrop: I was shocked... I feel so embarrassed. She he is a long haired cat and the vet assures me that this happens sometimes, but... I still feel stupid. Especially as we've had him for a few months and I have been brushing him daily and he has a bath every now and then. :nervous: I thought that either me or my partner would have noticed... something. :freak: The kitty came with a health check certificate from another vets (I have checked this vets and it is real, kitty has an ID there) saying they were female; and they were smaller than the other male kittens in the litter so I just assumed that's what they were! Feeling really daft just dropping him off at a new vets for a spaying :salute:! Someone please assure me that this is a thing that happens.... I can't get used to the idea that the kitty is really a boy!! 🤣
This is not all that unusual. Especially when they are small.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely happens!
I did it with my tortishelle:doh: (and torties are almost ALWAYS girls). Not my proudest moment :lol:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At her first appointment, I guess the vet just assumed my Meep was a male, as 80% of orange cats are male. Besides, she is a long-haired cat.

I had to correct him.