Onsior For More Than 3 Days?

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
I posted earlier, as my little Lucy has been dealing with some complications after her spay. The vet initially gave me onsior (a NSAID) for the pain for a 3 day course as is rpitine after the surgery. A couple of days after the pain meds were gone, I took her back and the vet said she had developed a seroma (a painless lump of fluid at the incision site,) but over the weekend it kept growing, so we took her back again. Now, the vet has applied a pressure bandage, and given a course of antibiotics (she had a fever,) as well as another Rx of Onsior.
This time, she wants us to have 6 pills.

If there aren't any signs of improvement, she may need to be opened back up according to the vet, at which point I'm sure more pain relief is in order.

My question is this: how safe is this drug to use after the 3 day period? How long of a break needs to be taken between courses? I saw this article, which scared me since it compared Onsior to Metacam (which has caused liver failure in cats.)

New pain medication for cats comes with some cautions

However, the article also states that onsior is approved for 6 day use in Europe. What are my other pain management options have you been offered for your cat? My vet said there aren't many other options; didn't really elaborate on that though. Currently, she mostly seems annoyed by the bandage, (still she likes it better than the E collar,) but not especially in pain.

Has anyone else's vet given them a longer Rx of onsior? Has anyone's pet experienced adverse side affects from this drug? Or any other drugs I could ask about for pain? Thanks in advance!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does she appear to be in pain? If she's not in pain, I wouldn't give her the meds. If you're concerned about the Onsior, ask the vet for a different med, but make sure they don't give you Meloxicam or Metacam.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I know it seems like common sense: if she doesn't seem in pain, don't give the meds. I am a new cat owner, so trying to determine whether or not she hurts is difficult. I think erring on the side of caution is better, though, since she's already dealing with enough. I appreciate you giving me both names of drugs to make sure they don't give, as well!