Only using one box

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one cat and one foster cat, both neutered males, 1-2 years old. I have a covered box in the bathroom and an uncovered one in the bedroom, same litter. They both use the bathroom box exclusively, which means much more scooping and cleaning of that box. Is there any way to encourage them to use the other box as well?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe they prefer the covered type of box?

I have only the covered style, as the boys are ditch diggers and dirt flingers, and they seem quite happy to use them.

thecatcoach

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One way of encouraging them to use the other box is to put some of their used litter in the other box. Cat Attractant might help also. The box needs to be in an area where the cats do not feel cornered or ambushed. Also needs to be in a low traffic area. Additionally, the uncovered box needs to be large.
Marilyn Krieger, CCBC
www.thecatcoach.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I may try some of the cat attract in the other box. Its just odd because the one they don't use is large, uncovered, and in a quiet open area in the bedroom. The one they prefer is a large covered box in the bathroom, under the vanity! I guess my two forgot to read the kitty preference memo

They have used the 2nd box before, but I guess decided they like the other one better.

thecatcoach

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try Cat Attractant, different then the Cat Attract litter. Cat Attractant is the stuff that's added to the litter. You sprinkle it in your regular litter.

kitten_smitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have only the covered style, as the boys are ditch diggers and dirt flingers, and they seem quite happy to use them.
I have a male like this myself - I think he would dig to China if the plastic bottom didn't stop him - when Fussy is done in the box there are trenches in the litter box.

If the cat box didn't have a done cover I swear he would have litter flung on the ceiling and in the light fixtures- I can hear the littler hitting to top of the box - I have seen him walk out of the box with particles of littler on his head.

Fussy is my silly boy - he actually likes sticky tape , I have never seen a cat that liked tape