Only Friskies Pate Or Only Dr. Elsey's Dry?

If you had to choose one to feed every meal which would it be?

• Friskies Pates

• Dr. Elsey's dry

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd go with the Friskies. Wet is better than dry. Even high quality dry. There's also more variety with the wet so less chance of boredom especially if you have a picky eater like I do. Two actually.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also wonder what the results would be if I changed the Friskies Pates to Friskies that aren't Pates. Maybe my next poll:)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also wonder what the results would be if I changed the Friskies Pates to Friskies that aren't Pates. Maybe my next poll:)
I'd still go with the Friskies. The issue is moisture with the dry. Cats get most of their water intake from the food they eat. Mine have a fountain and they like it a lot but some cats are not good water drinkers. My girls eat both wet and dry (Dr. Elsey's chicken). One eats more wet than dry and the other vice versa. Fortunately, she really likes drinking from the fountain.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually might go with Dr Elsey's if I had to choose non pates, my cats didn't seem to do to well when I gave them those.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually might go with Dr Elsey's if I had to choose non pates, my cats didn't seem to do to well when I gave them those.
Mine don't like pates as much as they used to and not just Friskies either which they used to like a lot. Friskies is all but off the menu now because they refuse it but they are SO picky. Their current favorite is Nutro Max but that's been discontinued and will be gone once the current stock runs out. I'm still looking for something similar. Wellness sliced & morsels has been going over OK.

I have to keep the DE dry because Lilith is pickier than Sophie is and if she rejects a wet food, she will eat the dry. Such is life with picky eaters.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tiger Tiger seems to be a favorite of mine at the moment along with Friskies Pates.

These ingredients turn me off the non pates -
Wheat Gluten, Soy Flour, Corn Starch-Modified, Artificial And Natural Flavors

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tiger Tiger seems to be a favorite of mine at the moment along with Friskies Pates.

These ingredients turn me off the non pates -
Wheat Gluten, Soy Flour, Corn Starch-Modified, Artificial And Natural Flavors
Tiny Tiger? They didn't like that one either. Food is a struggle at our house. Those ingredients are not ideal but if that's what the cat will eat, so be it.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah Tiny Tiger, they'll eat any one of them except for the beef.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the new question is which wet food would kat0121 not choose, I can't seem to find one with cyanide.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So would the results have changed if I had put Dr Elsey's dry with the perfect amount of water added and blended?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then you run into the risk of bacteria buildup and mycotoxins if all of it not eaten right away

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I read somewhere that you can leave out wet food longer then dry. I see another poll coming;)

I also wonder why they don't make a ground up dry food where you just add water.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They do, it's called freeze dried foods ;)
No I mean general dry food like meow mix, wouldn't the product be cheaper and healthier.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I mean general dry food like meow mix, wouldn't the product be cheaper and healthier.
No, because most dry foods (especially those like Meow Mix) are loaded with grains and other carby ingredients so the food can be extruded into cute shapes. Adding water to that would be cheap but still not very healthy.

Personally, I would say Friskies pates or bust. The non-pate foods generally have wheat gluten or other grains but the pates only have rice. You can see the differences in the carb column on the Catinfo.org food charts.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Unlike almost anything else cat nutrition related, there actually is a study associated with hydration and diet. The link goes to a high end dry food manufacturer's website, so that their take is obviously a bit biased.

Still, it is the best information on the subject that I know of.
I’m sorry but this is a really poorly written study. There is no control group, and they’re using USG as a proxy for whether a cat drinks enough on a dry diet? Yes, we know that USG will generally be lower if you drink more water but there are lots of reasons that USG might fluctuate. They are just trying to sell their product.

Every cat parent who has their cat on an all wet diet knows that cats drink very little to no water when they are well hydrated. This study doesn’t even report on how much water was consumed. And again, there is no control group comparison and no way to warrant the substantial claims that they make based on their study with 45 cats.

Some of the best information we have comes from the physiology of cats and the use of deductive reasoning. Yes, science doesn’t just consist of collecting data and making inductive inferences. Science can also be deductive. We know that cats are obligate carnivores, a lot of facts about their health and nutrition follow from this single fact.

Last edited: