Online web site for international pantry items

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The local newspaper had a little article about a web site that sells international pantry type items like spices and dried herbs and snacks and baking items. Might be a good web site to source hard to find ingredients from if your local grocery store / supermarket doesn't have any and there are no ethnic markets around.

There are recipes on the web site, too. M maggiedemi the vegan spicy truffle fusilli seems like something you'd enjoy :) I'm sure you can use plain olive oil since truffle oil is ridiculously expensive.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the recipe. I always wonder, when a recipe calls for Parmesan, does it mean the grated stuff or the fresh stuff? I only have this kind:
View attachment 410203
I either use the refrigerated grated Parmesan cheese or the block of Parm--grating it myself...

I found that the shelf life cheese, has a ton of preservatives, sodium, and just taste nasty to me---like sawdust...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ideally freshly grated from a chunk of Parmesean cheese. You can also buy bags of already grated cheese from the cheese / deli section of the supermarket. The powdered cheese in the canisters contain cellulose fiber aka wood pulp and other stuff :barfgreen:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Like the one I posted in the pic? It's kinda salty.
That is the NASTY one... I think, the last time I used it, was about 45 years ago...

Ideally freshly grated from a chunk of Parmesean cheese. You can also buy bags of already grated cheese from the cheese / deli section of the supermarket. The powdered cheese in the canisters contain cellulose fiber aka wood pulp and other stuff :barfgreen:
Yes, these are the best!! In the refrigerated cheese area of the store... or just get a chunk of Parmesan and grate it, as needed.... the best....

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a place for the "sawdust". I prefer it on pasta; the shredded stuff just doesn't thicken the sauce like the shaker stuff does. But, yeah, in recipes they usually mean shredded, either fresh off the block or preshredded.