Ongoing Vomiting For 2 Weeks Now. :( Long Story, Sorry.

K&K22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, a little back story. My cat, Kuro, a tuxedo kitty :) had an exploratory surgery when he was around 15 weeks, because the vets thought he had an obstruction. It was a swollen lymph node on his intestines. I have all of his test results and the biopsy from the surgery when he was younger. It started out him vomiting bile, and then not eating much. I spent over 3k in vet care and go no real answers. Since then, I adopted another kitty, Kiki and I have moved across the country. Kuro is a pretty lazy, timid, relaxed kitty and pretty shy. About a week ago, he began vomiting in the early mornings around 6/7AM. Then I would feed him, and he was good. He was his normal, energetic self. He did throw up 2 hairballs, but kept most of his food down. Friday, my boyfriend and I decided maybe a different food(grain-free) would be best. So we switched his food because he wasn't eating as much. He gobbled the new food down, and had runny poops.. given his food change. Saturday, he stopped eating as much and we were really worried. We syringed water/pedialyte mixture to him. Sunday we were so worried, we went to a ER vet. The sent us home with Flagly, probiotics and he got a shot of Cerenia. They wasn't any concerns of obstructions. The next Tuesday, because he still wasn't eating as much as I was comfortable with and licking his lips a lot(nausea). I called a vet and made an appointment. We got in Wednesday, the vet did an exam, and said everything looked normal. If it was a yearly checkup he wouldn't assume anything was wrong. Vet ordered CBC, Thyroid and Leukemia test. All came back normal, vet said to call him back if it continued. Said he thought it was Kuro ate some human food or old cat food. Told us to continue him on his old food. He started eating well and all was good. He vomited Friday morning, called the vet. the said to feed him more often. We started feeding him small meals every 3/4 hours. He will not touch his dry food at all now. Friday he ate almost a whole can of food throughout the day and kept the food down. We went to bed a little late, and he didn't eat before we went to sleep around 3. His poops go from solidish to liquid with small solids. Today, he vomited bile on the window sill, it was yellow around 7am. We tried to feed him and he ate some treats and a little wet food. We went back to sleep, a few hours later. He vomited again, this time liquid. He had a solid bowel this afternoon. He hasn't ate much today, we kind of had to put some on our finger to get him to eat. He does really eating his bento flakes and treats. He is still pretty active, he jumps onto the window sill and walks around. We are going to call the vet Monday and will give him water over the weekend. We are unsure at this point what is going on, and it is exhausting. Does anyone have any similar stories? Any ideas what's going on? We thought it may be IBS. Sorry for the long story. I am just an exhausted, cat mom. :( Thank you!

*sorry for any typos, I am pretty exhausted*

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. So sorry your little guy is having so much digestive issues. :alright:

I wonder if some of the problem is change in food. Normally the advice is to gradually add the new food to the old food, until it's just the new food being fed. Changing too quickly can cause diarrhea and/or vomiting.

Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade)

The 6AM/7AM bile vomiting sounds like what my Ruby used to do, and still does on occasion. Ruby has a sensitive belly and if she goes too long between meals, she'll vomit bile. I've started feeding her several small meals throughout the day, with the last food put down just as I'm going to bed.

Do you have some of the old food left? Maybe try giving him a mix of that and the new food.

I know how stressful is it when our kitties keep throwing up. Hopefully your guy will be better soon. :catlove:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have a cat that will throw up if he goes to long without eating, i think that is fairly common. what has worked for my guy is 2 wet meals per day, and i leave Dr. Elseys dry food out all the time.

Otherwise my guys have rock solid stomachs, changing foods does not bother them. But i know a lot of cats are sensitive to food changes, especially dry foods. And i have read that grain free causes some cats to have diarrhea. I think thats not from a lack of grains, but because grain free will often have a lot of potatoes, and or peas, which does bother some cats. I do have one male that gets some bad gas if there is many peas in his cat food. personally i dont like any vegetable matter in cat food, but its very hard to avoid. I try to find the lowest carb food i can, for me its Dr. elseys dry. Low carb is what i want, i dont care otherwise where the carbs come from, i dont find grains any worse than potatoes or peas.

I feed a variety of wet, cats can normally switch it up with wet food without stomach upset, normally. If your guy only wants wet not thats great, feed him wet. I know it can be hard to feed often enough 4 to 6 hours. Some put down an extra wet meal right before bed so he can eat during the night, some of us put down dry. Which ever works for you and your cat is ok as far as i am concerned.

What is he eating now? I have a few places i like to look up cat foods to compare. we want high protein, moderate fat, and low carb if at all possible. If his throwing up continues you may want to try a different brand, or a different protein. If he is eating chicken now try something different. Rabbit, lamb, beef, ect.... and different textures, some of mine do well with shreds, some like minced, and occasionally pate.

https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

K&K22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is eating Mulo pate, he eats a little bit but not much. He is eating his treats no problem, only licks gravy when we offer him flood. We kind of force fed him this morning, but he vomited again sometime during the night. He had a slight bloody stool(semi normal) this morning, but is walking around the house and keeping food down. He jumped over a baby gate we have up and went to the basement.

We are going to call our vet tomorrow(hopefully they are open). Going to offer food again soon and see if he eats any. Thank you guys for your advice!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried different wet food? sometimes my guys go off and wont eat something they had been enjoying. And i think a vet visit when they open back up would be safest! Do keep us updated. :crossfingers:

K&K22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, we have changed his food. Friday he was eating so much! Every time we offered him food, he chowed down. Then he vomited early morning Saturday. I'm assuming from not eating overnight and maybe that has caused his stomach to be upset again? So all day Saturday, he barely ate any. I have no idea. His bloody stool has me so worried. It is soft, slightly mucus and slight bloodness to one part. Not very bright or alarming. We wouldn't really be able to notice but we've been monitoring the litter box.

We are probably got to syringe some pureed wet food we made if he doesn't eat in an hour.

Yes. We are definitely going to a vet tomorrow. I don't feel this is necessarily an ER visit since Wednesday the vet didn't seem too concerned and Friday when I called him and told him, Kuro vomited he just said feed him more frequently and call him if he continues. :'( I'm so worried about my little guy. He is the sweetest cat I have ever had and he is too young to be going through this.

K&K22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: we syringed a puree of his wet food and some Pedialyte. He started to lick a little of his wet food himself and is destroying some bento flakes.

We are going to give him another 2.5 mls of food in a bit.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was the new grain-free food you gave him a dry food or wet food?

K&K22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We switched both. We slowly introduced the dry food, he didn't eat it at all. We returned it. He did like some of the wet foods. He doesn't seem interested in any foods. He did enjoy pates Friday. Hs ate a good amount.

On his tuna flake canister, it does have a rather worrisome warning..

His symptoms as far as I remember started around the time we started giving him some.

Also, picture of Kuro! Kuro <3

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... what a cutie pie. :catlove: Hope he feels better soon. :redheartpump:

K&K22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Brought Kuro to ER vet. We were sent home with Cerenia tablets to be given every 24 hours and Mirtazapine to be given every 3 days. Vet did xrays and didn't see anything. They gave him some fluids and sent us home with an assortment of canned foods. We gave him his Mirtazapine when we got home, and my boyfriend started playing with him. He immediately got up and started playing. We will offer food to him in a few hours to let the Cerenia work. Vet said if he isn't eating by Tuesday to bring him to the vet.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kuro is very lucky he has such attentive and caring "parents". :catlove:
Again, hope he feels better soon.