Ongoing stomach issues with my 4 year old cat

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 4 year old cat has been keeping me worried over the last 4 months. About a year ago he decided he likes eating things he shouldn’t. He started eating sisal string off his cat trees. We got rid of all sisal rope and never really had issues.

About 4-5 months ago we brought in a kitten. The kitten learned she could get under our bed and eat the fluff of our mattress and she taught our older cat to eat the same.Before I figured out what they were doing, I was having constant anxiety. They both had diarrhea, some vomiting, not eating, lethargy. It took me weeks and many vet visits until I finally figured it out. I sealed off the area and they got better right away.

But now my older cat is having similar issues again and I have no idea what it could be. He had completely liquid diarrhea 3 times yesterday and would only eat when I held food up to his face. He threw up 3 times. We ended up taking him to emergency vet late last night bc I was scared he was blocked. They did x ray and there was no blockage- just a lot of gas. They gave him a shot for vomiting and I game him anti diarrhea meds this morning. The vet said it was just mild gastroenteritis.

I have no idea what could cause this. We got a new couch recently and he likes to fiddle with us but there’s no foam he can get to or anything like that. I have him on hills science dry food And I’ve been trying out different wet foods but I don’t think it could be food related? It just stresses me out so much when this happens but I can’t keep taking him to the emergency room and racking up a huge bill. Anyone been through something like this or have any ideas?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats who eat things they shouldn't are typically diagnosed with PICA, and they can literally eat pretty much anything, not just sisal or mattress stuffing, but plastic, wood, carpet, etc. Here is another thread about a cat probably had PICA and includes an article on it and things you can do, including different types of food. Cat swallowed string again a week after surgery

Did your Vet indicate what might cause the gastroenteritis? Did they do blood tests, check for parasites, take his medical history, etc to try to figure out what caused it? It can even be caused by cleaning agents used in the home. (and yes, foods)