Ongoing loose bloody stools kitten- 6 months old now.

DerekYoho22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, this is my first post here so I want to say hello to everyone, and appreciate whomever takes the time to read all of this!
pastedGraphic.png

I adopted a kitten November 13th whom was spayed Nov 12th, Ava- was labeled approximately 9 weeks old. Ever since we brought her home, she has had loose stools with blood in them (Bright red not dark red). She has had a total of 3 fecal tests w/giardia inspection. All with negative results. Initial dose of Pyrantel at shelter. And pyrantel given twice during vet visits as well. ( Im not sure what the dates were)

First stool test was 11/29. Negative results.

Shelter food was Purina kitten chow. So I bought a bag of that as well as Authority Indoor kitten. Kept her on Purina until appointments because stools were already bad from day 1, I didn’t want to put increases stress on her gut. Also I have never observed lethargy/ vomit during this time period. Although I know kittens are good at hiding ailments.

Vet appointment 12/1 placed on Flagyl for 7 days along with Proviable probiotic capsules.

day 4 or 5 on Flagyl and stool was looking better, not great but more formed. Very small amount of blood.

After Flagyl was done 2 or 3 days after stools were back to square one, still eating Purinia kitten chow. Soft serve/ blood coming out at end of elimination.

Vet Appointment 12/20 Placed on another 7 days of Flagyl along with Pro-Pectalin Anti-diarrheal 15cc syringe. Given 1cc up to q8h. Hills ID feline canned food- 10 days-ish. I mixed the pro pectalin with this and gave her 1 or 2cc per day. My understanding is the ID food is bland and easy on the gut. Stool was much better after 3 or 4 days. Formed (tootsie rolls) and maybe spec of blood.

Vet Appointment 12/27. Stools seemed much better. FVRCP vaccine. Given Proviable capsules and Pro- Pectalin syringe again. Got more ID feline caned food, as well as Hills ID dry food to mix in. Vet was concerned keeping her on the canned would loosen her stool. Once again a few days after flagyl was finished stools went back to soft serve/mudpie. Mixed the dry food and canned food until canned food was gone. I honestly thought the blood issue cleared up but stools are very soft/runny on the Hills ID dry food. And also there is an extreme amount of gas during her poops, sounds like a little automatic weapon going off. And now blood is back. Im not sure what to do, I asked vet about some sort of cancer and she said that is very rare and not on her radar. So i’m thinking its an intolerance/allergy to maybe the carbohydrates? She has only had much better stools while on the anitibiotic- but long term isn't a good idea and isn't recommended by the vet. Im not sure what to do but any insight on gut health Ava and I would greatly appreciate it! Sometimes she tracks it through the house and it isn’t very fun :(.

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the food you are feeding Ava chicken as many cats have an allergy to it. I find s boulardii clears diarrhoea in my cats, a quarter of a capsule mixed into wet food twice a day and you should see a difference in a couple of days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DerekYoho22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, actually the first ingredient is chicken for both the dry and wet food. I shall get some boulardii and wet food that doesn't contain chicken and give it a try!

DerekYoho22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update. Transitioned to Natural Balance duck and Chick pea from Hills ID. Dry food with s boulardii bid. Not having much luck. Blood in stool occasionally but there is still no formed stool. Still Cowpie like. Biggest concern as Ava has had soooo much gas while she's going to the bathroom, something isn't right. It's so loud. And I just cleaned 4 stools from the litter box bedroom. Not full stools, very very small. Which leads me to believe it's the gas making her not go in the clean box sometimes she just can't hold it. Going to the vet for a diarrhea panel tomorrow. I personally think it may be t foetus. Researching it leads me to believe there may be relief for little Ava after all

Attachments

kazick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope the panel can give more details on what is causing all the gas. Hoping she get better soon. Her digestives may be caused by meat by products or fillers. Have you tried kitten food from Blue Buffalo or Open Farm?

DerekYoho22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Long update sorry.

Update #2. Vet called today after they closed. Unfortunately had to leave a voicemail bc I was on a plane. PCR diarrhea panel came back positive for multiple things. Not sure what yet. But she been a vet for years and hasn’t seen a PCR come back positive until my cat. She said she consulted with internal medicine and a nutritionist and after reviewing what she tested positive for came to conclusion they’re mild and aren’t really things you treat and are self limiting. That they feel what she tested positive for isn’t what’s causing the diarrhea.
1) And the recommendation is to put her on Hills Biome for a couple weeks and then switch her back to what she’s on now - Purina Pro Plan lamb and rice. Lamb is apparently the meat that causes the hardest stools. She said can’t do long term Biome bc she’s a kitten still.
2) Panacure for 7 days- stated she knows we’ve done fecal tests that were negative and de wormed her when I adopted her (Pyrantel) but that it was still the recommendation.
3) recommended doing B12 injections.

this has been happening ever since I adopted her in mid November… 4 weeks old.
trial and error on 6 different foods already- this will be 7th food since November. I just feel like it’s past self-limiting and chronic now. And her only relief was with 2 courses of flagyl.
I don’t want to step on the vets toes but I just feel like this isn’t the path to getting her better
, anyone have any input? I really want to ask about Ronidazole but I won’t know what she tested positive for until Wednesday when she’s back in the office.

DerekYoho22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IDEXX feline comprehensive PCR diarrhea panel was run.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd seek the opinion of another vet. At the very least, ask the current vet to consult with a veterinary school or with other vets through professional associations. Be a little pushy if you have to.

umtum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any updates on your kitty? I pm you hoping we could share our experiences thanks

Long update sorry.

Update #2. Vet called today after they closed. Unfortunately had to leave a voicemail bc I was on a plane. PCR diarrhea panel came back positive for multiple things. Not sure what yet. But she been a vet for years and hasn’t seen a PCR come back positive until my cat. She said she consulted with internal medicine and a nutritionist and after reviewing what she tested positive for came to conclusion they’re mild and aren’t really things you treat and are self limiting. That they feel what she tested positive for isn’t what’s causing the diarrhea.
1) And the recommendation is to put her on Hills Biome for a couple weeks and then switch her back to what she’s on now - Purina Pro Plan lamb and rice. Lamb is apparently the meat that causes the hardest stools. She said can’t do long term Biome bc she’s a kitten still.
2) Panacure for 7 days- stated she knows we’ve done fecal tests that were negative and de wormed her when I adopted her (Pyrantel) but that it was still the recommendation.
3) recommended doing B12 injections.

this has been happening ever since I adopted her in mid November… 4 weeks old.
trial and error on 6 different foods already- this will be 7th food since November. I just feel like it’s past self-limiting and chronic now. And her only relief was with 2 courses of flagyl.
I don’t want to step on the vets toes but I just feel like this isn’t the path to getting her better
, anyone have any input? I really want to ask about Ronidazole but I won’t know what she tested positive for until Wednesday when she’s back in the office.