One year old cat refuse to eat wet food

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a one year old female (spayed) cat. She used to love eating wet food growing up as a kitten. A few months ago, I noticed she was not finishing her meal of wet food. I brought her to the vet and tests came back normal. They gave her Mirtazapine to stimulate her appetite. It worked for a couple of weeks. Then, she’s back to just sniffing her wet food and walking away. After two months of trying, I decided to bring her again to the vet. I was worried there may be intestinal obstruction since she always chews on pretty much anything. The bloodwork again came back normal on all parameters. X-ray is also good. She has no vomiting or diarrhea/constipation, she is also actively playing like a normal cat. But she wouldn’t eat her food! The vet said it may be she is developing a preference to certain flavor or texture of food. So I tried giving her different brand, flavors, and textures. I tried also mixing wet food and her dry food. But she will not eat it. A few days ago, I had success trying to get her to eat by hand feeding! It worked. But I don’t want her to develop a habit of eating by my hand. Plus, she only nibbles about 30 grams of dry food throughout the day and I’m not sure that would be enough. She is about 8 lbs now. I give her scheduled meal times three times a day. I can’t leave any food out for her to graze all day because my other cat about her age is an overeater! He will devour any food he finds.

Any advice or similar experience? Please help! I’m going crazy!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have the exact same issue with one of my guys, and so far have not been able to resolve it. He used to eat only wet food, and now it's like pulling teeth to get him to eat it. I've tried practically every brand available, every protein, every texture and nothing works. Not even Fancy Feast, which supposedly every cat loves. And I use toppers galore. sometimes that works, sometimes not. But he rarely ever finishes his bowl, and I usually only put about 1 ounce in there at any one meal. I've also had my guy in for bloodwork and even an ultrasound because it's hard to believe nothing is wrong, but they said he appears to just be picky :argh:

Instead of giving your girl kibble, perhaps you could feed her something like freeze dried raw? It's got much less carbs than kibble, so has to be better for her. That's what I've been feeding my guy. You could still feed it only at meal times so the other cat can't get it. I use Feline Naturals freeze dried. It does come in a couple different flavors, and the size is good so you don't have to break it up into smaller pieces like some freeze dried raw. It's more kibble size. Then every once in awhile offer her some wet food and maybe she'll eat it. That's what I do, and once in awhile my guy woofs down the bowl. I think he gets hungry enough on occasion that he decides it's not so bad afterall.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the exact same issue with one of my guys, and so far have not been able to resolve it. He used to eat only wet food, and now it's like pulling teeth to get him to eat it. I've tried practically every brand available, every protein, every texture and nothing works. Not even Fancy Feast, which supposedly every cat loves. And I use toppers galore. sometimes that works, sometimes not. But he rarely ever finishes his bowl, and I usually only put about 1 ounce in there at any one meal. I've also had my guy in for bloodwork and even an ultrasound because it's hard to believe nothing is wrong, but they said he appears to just be picky :argh:

Instead of giving your girl kibble, perhaps you could feed her something like freeze dried raw? It's got much less carbs than kibble, so has to be better for her. That's what I've been feeding my guy. You could still feed it only at meal times so the other cat can't get it. I use Feline Naturals freeze dried. It does come in a couple different flavors, and the size is good so you don't have to break it up into smaller pieces like some freeze dried raw. It's more kibble size. Then every once in awhile offer her some wet food and maybe she'll eat it. That's what I do, and once in awhile my guy woofs down the bowl. I think he gets hungry enough on occasion that he decides it's not so bad afterall.
Wow! Thanks for sharing your experience. I felt relieved I’m not alone on this. I will definitely try your suggestion. Are freeze dried raw food has necessary nutrients like taurine?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a one year old female (spayed) cat. She used to love eating wet food growing up as a kitten. A few months ago, I noticed she was not finishing her meal of wet food. I brought her to the vet and tests came back normal. They gave her Mirtazapine to stimulate her appetite. It worked for a couple of weeks. Then, she’s back to just sniffing her wet food and walking away. After two months of trying, I decided to bring her again to the vet. I was worried there may be intestinal obstruction since she always chews on pretty much anything. The bloodwork again came back normal on all parameters. X-ray is also good. She has no vomiting or diarrhea/constipation, she is also actively playing like a normal cat. But she wouldn’t eat her food! The vet said it may be she is developing a preference to certain flavor or texture of food. So I tried giving her different brand, flavors, and textures. I tried also mixing wet food and her dry food. But she will not eat it. A few days ago, I had success trying to get her to eat by hand feeding! It worked. But I don’t want her to develop a habit of eating by my hand. Plus, she only nibbles about 30 grams of dry food throughout the day and I’m not sure that would be enough. She is about 8 lbs now. I give her scheduled meal times three times a day. I can’t leave any food out for her to graze all day because my other cat about her age is an overeater! He will devour any food he finds.

My cat does not finish her meal. I use a food timer or go to bed with her locked in my bedroom. She goes back and forth to eat. It may not work with a one year old so put out multiple timers for wet food

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Why not switch her to a quality dry food. Also add a Water Fountain to ensure she receives her adequate moisture.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
pringandpan pringandpan
Hi,
You can get microchip feeders.
They only open to the cat whose chip they match.
I would not worry about a one year old or so male over eating wet food. I have two males who are not overweight and in good body condition who eat as much raw and wet food as they like.
Cats can develop food insecurity issues and overeat if they do not get enough food. Males normally are larger than females and eat more.
I would not limit the males wet food.
It is dry food you need to worry about due to the high carb content.

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a thought.... The fact that the hand feeding works made me think of this. I have a cat who stops eating if I leave the room, and he even looks up if I stand up from sitting. He is very insecure about me leaving him while he is eating. Someone else here mentioned food insecurity, and it made me think of that. I have three cats. I feed them only wet, all three cats in the same room. I put a bit in the bowl and then sit and wait. Sitting with them is mostly because one of them eats very fast and then heads to his sister's bowl, so I stay and guard, but there is also Little One who wants me in the room. If I have food in the oven and go to check on it, he will walk away to see what I am doing in the next room, and his brother will eat whatever is in his bowl as well as his own. Anyway, I just wondered if, for some reason, she developed insecurity (like the other cat is intimidating her in the area where you feed her when you are not there in regard to something not food related or maybe you have been away from the house more and she misses you) and she suddenly wants you present. Some people on this site have even said they had a cat that needed them to literally sit on the floor in order to eat. I am lucky enough that I at least get a chair -but I cannot while they eat, unless it is for treats.

Cats can even develop issues with where you feed them. Like, if the kitchen used to be quiet during their feeding time but then, once - just once, something happened (it thundered or your cell phone rang or someone else in the house came in and started talking to you), it might be causing anxiety as well. I have a cat that is afraid of loud rain and thunder. I feed her under the chest of drawers in the bedroom where she hides if it happens at feeding time. I slide the bowl under and listen for her licking the wet food, wait a bit, and then pull the bowl out - always empty! Otherwise, she would miss meals when we have days of heavy rain and thunder. I take the food where she feels secure eating it. I just thought I would mention that, in case you have not thought about feeding her in a different place than usual.

One more thing. What happens if you offer her boiled chicken or baby food or treats? I know those are not something you can feed long term, but it might tell you whether the cat is not eating the wet food because she does not like what you have offered or is not hungry.

None of this may help. I understand you not wanting to start a habit of handfeeding or sitting in the room or whatever, but I thought trying some things like feeding in a different room or sitting in a chair might give you a clue about what is going it. Cats can be so weird, but we love them! :blush:

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a thought.... The fact that the hand feeding works made me think of this. I have a cat who stops eating if I leave the room, and he even looks up if I stand up from sitting. He is very insecure about me leaving him while he is eating. Someone else here mentioned food insecurity, and it made me think of that. I have three cats. I feed them only wet, all three cats in the same room. I put a bit in the bowl and then sit and wait. Sitting with them is mostly because one of them eats very fast and then heads to his sister's bowl, so I stay and guard, but there is also Little One who wants me in the room. If I have food in the oven and go to check on it, he will walk away to see what I am doing in the next room, and his brother will eat whatever is in his bowl as well as his own. Anyway, I just wondered if, for some reason, she developed insecurity (like the other cat is intimidating her in the area where you feed her when you are not there in regard to something not food related or maybe you have been away from the house more and she misses you) and she suddenly wants you present. Some people on this site have even said they had a cat that needed them to literally sit on the floor in order to eat. I am lucky enough that I at least get a chair -but I cannot while they eat, unless it is for treats.

Cats can even develop issues with where you feed them. Like, if the kitchen used to be quiet during their feeding time but then, once - just once, something happened (it thundered or your cell phone rang or someone else in the house came in and started talking to you), it might be causing anxiety as well. I have a cat that is afraid of loud rain and thunder. I feed her under the chest of drawers in the bedroom where she hides if it happens at feeding time. I slide the bowl under and listen for her licking the wet food, wait a bit, and then pull the bowl out - always empty! Otherwise, she would miss meals when we have days of heavy rain and thunder. I take the food where she feels secure eating it. I just thought I would mention that, in case you have not thought about feeding her in a different place than usual.

One more thing. What happens if you offer her boiled chicken or baby food or treats? I know those are not something you can feed long term, but it might tell you whether the cat is not eating the wet food because she does not like what you have offered or is not hungry.

None of this may help. I understand you not wanting to start a habit of handfeeding or sitting in the room or whatever, but I thought trying some things like feeding in a different room or sitting in a chair might give you a clue about what is going it. Cats can be so weird, but we love them! :blush:
Thank you so much for your reply! Really appreciate it.

I understand what you’re saying. I also thought about it actually. I tried feeding her in a different room but she still would not eat her food.

She loves treats (meat tubes or catnip biscuits), but she doesn’t beg for them now like compared when she’s a kitten.

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why not switch her to a quality dry food. Also add a Water Fountain to ensure she receives her adequate moisture.
Yes! I already ordered a 300g pack of Acana. I will first try if she likes it. We have two fountains and two water bowls around the apartment.
Thanks for your suggestion!

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
pringandpan pringandpan
Hi,
You can get microchip feeders.
They only open to the cat whose chip they match.
I would not worry about a one year old or so male over eating wet food. I have two males who are not overweight and in good body condition who eat as much raw and wet food as they like.
Cats can develop food insecurity issues and overeat if they do not get enough food. Males normally are larger than females and eat more.
I would not limit the males wet food.
It is dry food you need to worry about due to the high carb content.
Thanks for your suggestion! I will add wet food serving for my male cat. I also ordered a wet food slow feeder mat (?) for him so he slow down a bit. He is a rescue cat and I wonder how long he was hungry before, so his upbringing might explain the overeating.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow! Thanks for sharing your experience. I felt relieved I’m not alone on this. I will definitely try your suggestion. Are freeze dried raw food has necessary nutrients like taurine?
As long as you get something that is not considered a treat, but considered a meal, yes, it is nutritionally complete. I use Feline Naturals Chicken and Lamb Feast. It's better for them than dry food, in my humble opinion.