One year old cat, how often to feed?

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a one year old cat ( just turned one), and I feed her one small can of wet food in the morning around 7:30, and another can around 3:30 in the afternoon. Then I feed her some dry food around 7 PM ( small amount, maybe a couple of tablespoons full). The reason for the dry food, is she meows like she is starving, when I start making my dinner. Her weight is around 9 pounds 9 ounces, up 2 oz from when I weighed her a few weeks ago.

My question is this, should I wait until my dinner time to give her the second can of wet food and skip the dry food altogther? Is it normal for a cat to meow alot like she is hungry which could result in me over feeding her and her gaining too much weight. In her first checkup with the vet last month, they said her weight was fine at 9 pounds 6 ounces, and they told me the two small cans of wet should be fine, and dry wasn't necessary. Don't want to overfeed her but don't want her to feel like she is starving either.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my cat finish up a 5.5 oz can in 3 meals. 2 small cans is enough. It also depends on how much fat is in the food. Not enough, my cat needs morel

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Toffee and Fudge were a year we fed them 3 meals a day - dry food for breakfast and then wet food for lunch and dinner. We still give them three meals a day now they're nearly three, but they have dry food for all of them.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a one year old cat ( just turned one), and I feed her one small can of wet food in the morning around 7:30, and another can around 3:30 in the afternoon. Then I feed her some dry food around 7 PM ( small amount, maybe a couple of tablespoons full). The reason for the dry food, is she meows like she is starving, when I start making my dinner. Her weight is around 9 pounds 9 ounces, up 2 oz from when I weighed her a few weeks ago.

My question is this, should I wait until my dinner time to give her the second can of wet food and skip the dry food altogther? Is it normal for a cat to meow alot like she is hungry which could result in me over feeding her and her gaining too much weight. In her first checkup with the vet last month, they said her weight was fine at 9 pounds 6 ounces, and they told me the two small cans of wet should be fine, and dry wasn't necessary. Don't want to overfeed her but don't want her to feel like she is starving either.
Peaches acts like she is still hungry so I give her more and she throws up. So she just wanted more because she liked it so much but her tummy was too full to eat anymore. Maggie I am actually jealous. She knows how much food she needs then stops, doesn't finish the bowl. Coco does not know when to stop. She does not get what which wants which is to eat aall day

Last edited:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really depends on what you’re feeding her. If high protein, low carb, moderate fat, then 3oz small cans are most likely enough. If I were you though, I’d split these two cans into at least 3 meals, it’s always better for cats to eat several smaller than 2 bigger meals.
But you also need to consider that she’s indeed hungry, she’s still young and may be still growing, then I wouldn’t hesitate to add 1/4 or even 1/2 of a small can. If she’s eating high protein, low carb wet food only, then it’s really unlikely she’ll be overweight. High carbs and dry usually contribute to weight problems.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have several cats which I feed wet food mixed in with dry in the morning (7 a.m.) and I leave a bowl of dry food out for them during the day and night, then I feed them wet food mixed with dry around 4-5 p.m. they are all indoor cats, 3 are 2 years old and the others are 1 1/2 years old. Should I be leaving the dry food for them? There’s a couple that seem like they prefer the dry food...any advice