One year old cat having seizures

Qashim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all
Last month my one year old cat started having seizures. It all started when she was trying to sleep she would wake up all of a sudden and there was white foam in her mouth and she would grind her teeth. This happened a couple of times during two weeks. Then one day while she was sleeping she started having seizure. She had more than 14 seizures within 48 hours. Each seizure lasted less than two minutes. She is currently on Phenobarbital 15mg twice a day.
Since her medication started she did not have any seizure. She is eating properly, she is playing and eveything almost seems fine with her except a few things
She had a simple blood workup at the vet here and everything was normal.
Vet here told us that they could only treat the symptoms and they are not sure what's wrong with her because of limited resources.
We have noticed some changes in her as well
Obsessive circling (she circles around a particular area in the house)
Pacing around the house
Fearlessness (she will never get scared of anything firecrackers and other things)
Not able to jump properly on her hind legs

Any advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Qashim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I already have told them the new symptoms. All they could do was a simple blood workup and nothing else.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Impaired coordination and restlessness can be side effects of this medication and might go away after she's been on it for a little while. This could account for her no longer being able to jump property, and the obsessive circling. I can't figure out what would cause her fearlessness though. Was she afraid before? Some cats just aren't bothered by load noises as much as other cats. For instance, one of my cats runs and hides whenever we run the vacuum, but the other one could care less about it. We can vacuum all the way up to his feet and he just lays there and watches it :rolleyes2:

The good news with your little one is that the drug is stopping the seizures!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would your vet be willing to consult with a veterinary school for more help on treating your cat's seizures and the new symptoms?

Qashim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens Obsessive circling which I have mentioned was before putting her on medication.
No she was not afraid before.
:thanks:

Qashim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 I'll ask the vet about this and will get back to you.