One Week Old Kitten Suddenly Died

Jay Kwon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mother cat, now named Floof, was a stray I picked up a few months back and fell pregnant with her kittens before I could spay her. Floof gave birth to three healthy kittens about a week ago (June 30, 2017) and her kittens seemed fine and healthy. They were all actively moving around and nursing. Floof didn't abandon her kittens either and is very protective of all the kittens. Unfortunately, one of the kittens died this afternoon as I found her body limp and cold, but seemed fine in the morning and was still moving around. Should I be concerned of the other kittens dying suddenly as well?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Such happens. May be pneumonia. May be something inheritated... That is why life is so precious, because it may be so fragile. "Today red (and healthy) tommorrow dead"...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jay Kwon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could it be something infectious? Should I take the other kittens and Floof to the vet? I've also noticed one of the kittens is pooping out yellow liquid while the other is not. Is this normal for a week old kittens to do?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Jay Kwon Jay Kwon

Yes, see the vet. Yellow diarrhea is not normal in week-old kittens. It is indicative of coccidia, which is a parasite.

The vet will likely give Albon. Diarrhea can kill tiny kittens very quickly.

If you see the vet, take mom and both kittens.

I hope the others will be okay!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree yellow diarrhea is often bad And the parasite more or less infecious. But this is prob something. Else than. First died of.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I agree this is different from what the first kitten died from.

Do let us know what the vet says.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jay Kwon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Went to the vet yesterday and the vet says the kitten is fine and healthy, and is pooping out yellow liquid due to the fact she's only drinking Floof's milk and not eating anything else. Her stomach was also bloated and vet said it was also because the kitten was drinking a lot from Floof. Unfortunately, another kitten passed away and vet suspected was because he didn't get enough milk.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to see a different vet. Yellow diarrhea is not from drinking mom's milk, and it is always serious.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you weighing the kittens every day? This will allow you to catch a kitten who isn't getting enough milk.

I agree that you also need to see another vet

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I am sorry that two of your kittens died. I agree that the yellow diarrhea is not good and needs medicine. I hope and pray that you get veterinary assistance soon.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Does Momma have diarrhea as well? Maybe the vet could run a stool sample on hers and see that it is coccidian? Although it doesn't often show up. I don't understand why they didn't give Albon the first time