One Week Into Raw Diet...my First Poop Question

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We're marking the one week mark for Mrowmrow on raw!! Yay!!

His diet is NOT balanced yet-- this entire week I've just been making sure he will consistently eat. I'm feeding a mix from My Pet Carnivore, just chicken, but have spooned in a little bit of ground whole beef, and have added some finely cut up gizzards and chicken hearts. He will not eat liver, which is a problem for another day, I guess. I do have planned to order Alnutrin TODAY, and have planned to order a big tub of chicken hearts, some ground up beef spleen, and two other protein sources to try, so hopefully it will be considered more "balanced" by next week!

The mix is bone-heavy, I've learned, but I have been trying to do about half muscle meat (mostly gizzard; the "gizzard and heart mix" from Kroger is like 10% heart, go figure) to even it out. He's eating about 2.4 ounces twice a day. He weighs ~8 lbs., and I think that's a good weight for him. He's consistently weighed ~8 lbs. for the last 5 years, despite being free-fed dry food.

His poop is weird. I do use a crystal cat litter that desiccates stool to prevent odor, which can sometimes change the color, but now his poop is a tan color. It's also no smaller than when he was eating kibble. My baseline for raw poop is only from my dog, and it would be tiny little chalky pellets.

There's no mucus, no runny stool, no blood, etc., but I'm not sure what, if anything, his poop is telling me.

Good morning conversation. Sorry if anyone was eating while reading this!!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Light colored stools indicate high calcium content from the bone in the mix. Happy to hear you're working on balancing the ratios. :) You should see normal brown stools once you've corrected the bone content.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL, never thought I'd be eager to look at photos of cat poop. :p

I think part of the problem is that Mrowmrow is sneaking and eating some of Keegan's kibble AFTER he eats his raw. I just discovered this last night. I'm considering switching Keegan to a brand that I know M detests, until I can get them both to eat the raw. I'm currently feeding him more than the 3% guideline (2.4 oz. a meal), which seems like a lot of food to me, but he woke me up this morning by nipping my nose and crying at 5 a.m. for breakfast. He's used to being free-fed.