One Sick Kitten

Status
Not open for further replies.

ap389

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have six inside cats (which get along great, two I have had for a long time and are getting up in their years sadly). Last Sunday a kitten stumbled upon my porch and adopted me. This is one of the most loving kittens I've ever seen in my life. Junebug is extremely active and playful with the other cats. Today however, he seems to be having a few problems. He won't eat any food, I can only get him to drink little water. He has been sleeping all day, and he is gagging up a white foamy substance. Does anybody have any idea on what this is, and what I can do to help him? Please help me

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not eating at any age is bad but with one so young it is deadly.  This little one needs to be seen by a vet asap and also since he has been around your cats I would take care of it fast in case it is contagious.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not eating at any age is bad but with one so young it is deadly.  This little one needs to be seen by a vet asap and also since he has been around your cats I would take care of it fast in case it is contagious.

^ What Catsallaround said!  Try to keep Junebug hydrated if you can't get her to eat any food.  No food or liquid at this age is extremely dangerous.  If you have to, get a milk supplement and an eye dropper and feed her that way.  At least she might keep enough down to keep her hydrated until you can get to the vet.  I would not wait on this.  Please keep us posted on Junebug's progress

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ap389

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on Junebug. I took him to the emergency clinic and the vet did a full work up on him, said he had round worms. The vet game him some type of topical medication for the worms, and an injection for the fever. The vet also said he was a little dehydrated. I've been force feeding him pet milk and he's been keeping it down, but he really doesn't seem to be any worse, and it's been a few hours already. How long does it usually take for that medication to kick in?

*Edit* All he's been doing is sleeping on me, no energy. What's weird is earlier this morning he was being playful. I stressed that point to the vet

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Curious a topical for round worms?  A medicine on skin to treat internal worms?

You can call and ask since you were there they should give a bit of advice no issue on phone.  Only cat I had running a bad fever didn't respond to well to medicine except the antibiotic shot after a few days and the fluids helped her ALOT(subq at home). 

Keep him warm with fluids being offered.  Do you have thermometer and feel comfortable using it?  Don't feed if temp gets to low as they won't digest it anyways or if to high as may puke it up. 

Kittens can go from one extreme to the other.  but good thing is they also tend to bounce back very easily!

Since you just got him and stress of what hes been through in his short little life he is prone.

ap389

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Curious a topical for round worms?  A medicine on skin to treat internal worms?

You can call and ask since you were there they should give a bit of advice no issue on phone.  Only cat I had running a bad fever didn't respond to well to medicine except the antibiotic shot after a few days and the fluids helped her ALOT(subq at home). 

Keep him warm with fluids being offered.  Do you have thermometer and feel comfortable using it?  Don't feed if temp gets to low as they won't digest it anyways or if to high as may puke it up. 

Kittens can go from one extreme to the other.  but good thing is they also tend to bounce back very easily!

Since you just got him and stress of what hes been through in his short little life he is prone.

Yes, it's called Advantage Feline Multi, that's what she (the vent) used on him. I do not have a thermometer, but I am waking him up every hour on the hour and offering him food and water. He ate a little bit of tuna earlier but it came back up. I really hope he is going to be okay. This has got me just as stressed as I'm sure he is.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh..read it as it treated JUST roundworms.  Wondering why a sick cat would be given treatment when worms are least of the issue IMO.

Did they tell you to call reg vet today or monday?  Or things to watch out for?  Any antibiotics/felv/fiv testing?

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the side affects is vomiting.  Was he vomiting before the er visit or never ate so only foam came up?  Was blood work run in the work up?

ap389

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Vet told me he should stop the majority of his vomiting by noon today - it's been that white foamy stuff. On the upside, Junebug got up this morning, took himself to the waterbowl, drank plenty of water, went down stairs used the big boy litter box, and spent some time chasing his tail and smacking at a bug! He has already wore himself out, I'm sure he is pretty weak. I really hope he keeps improving

ap389

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And the Vet did not do any blood work, just the fecal test in which she found the worms, and she said they would cause everything which he was experiencing

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please keep us updated! Junebug is a little cutie. Also remember that humans can be infected with roundworms, and it's fairly serious. Fortunately, it's
not common.

Last edited:

ap389

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's winded down a bit, probably tired, but he's still playing. I'll post a few more pictures of him

ap389

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Junebug declined again this morning. He's in the kitty hospital. Will keep this updated

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this. Sending out :vibes: for the poor little guy and I hope he bounces back soon.

ap389

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your support. Unfortunately June Bug did not make it. May he rest in peace and be forever missed.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH I just read through this thread and I am SO very, very sorry your lost little Junebug. :sniffle: He was well loved this last week and would have been outside suffering if not for you taking him in. Bless you for doing that for him. You gave him a beautiful name... :hugs: :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Fly Freely :rbheart: Junebug.... :angel:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.