One paw big and swollen

Maruna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
My kitten is 5 months old and today I noticed that one of her front paws is significantly larger than the other, probably swollen. She was in the garden for a short while earlier but I live in England so it’s unlikely to be from a poisonous insect sting and there aren’t many bees about either as it’s freezing today. She has been running around a lot as usual so it could possibly be sprained. She doesn’t seem to be in any pain and is walking and running still. When she stands, the swollen paw does look slightly bent to one side but I’m not sure if that’s due to the inflammation. I don’t know whether to hurry in taking her to the vet as she’s not showing any pain symptoms like limping etc, or whether to wait a couple of days and see how it goes.
When I get a chance I’ll try and upload some photos. Are swollen paws common and will it naturally heal?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maruna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have tried to check underneath and can’t see anything stuck. She’s jumping fine, playing, when I tried to check it and squeeze it slightly she didn’t seem to be in pain and seems normal so far besides the huge size of her paw which is very obvious.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Given you have no idea what might have caused this, it would probably be wise to get it checked out. Maybe you are missing something that is stuck somewhere in her paw and the swelling could be a sign of an infection setting in. I realize that is likely worse case scenario, but if it were me not getting it looked at would drive me crazy.