One of the strays peed on an abnormal surface twice. None seems to be in pain. Any symptoms to look for?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are 3-4 stray cats around my house that spend most of the day here. My own cat goes out to the yard to pee and poop as well. But there are quite a few more cats who walk around especially late at night. AND yesterday a small kitten showed up out of nowhere. One neighbor took him in but apparently brought down back when he mistook a stray as his mother and the kitten was found dead this morning. :-(

So late at night I saw a small puddle of urine right near my porch on the surface. I'm sure it was urine as the other strays smelled, got grossed out, tried to hide it. I thought maybe the kitten did it but this morning I saw a second small puddle close to the first one. And to my surprise the first puddle was still there (I thought it would be evaporated by now. It's been at least 10 hours.) I don't trust my knowledge about normal urine color but it looked darker yellow to me, based on what I saw on Google Images "abnormal acidity." Besides I don't understand why they would pee on the surface when there is soil everywhere they normaly use.

But I don't see any lethargy, lack of appetite, or sign of pain. Is there anything else I should look for? I guess it's possible they maybe got stressed out because of the kitten, or one of the visitor strays from outside left a scent maybe(?), maybe the mother of the kitten?... but I'm worried if it's a sign of kidney/bladder health issues.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Poor kitten - was it injured? I'd say it is likely the peeing near your porch is probably related. Try to remove the smell from that area, and see if it happens again. If you don't work to remove the smell, it will probably happen again - but, perhaps by another cat covering the smell of the previous cat. It would be hard to say if something is wrong or not. The darker color could be related to spraying maybe?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Poor kitten - was it injured? I'd say it is likely the peeing near your porch is probably related. Try to remove the smell from that area, and see if it happens again. If you don't work to remove the smell, it will probably happen again - but, perhaps by another cat covering the smell of the previous cat. It would be hard to say if something is wrong or not. The darker color could be related to spraying maybe?
The kitten wasn't injured. He didn't even appear sick. Then again, the fact there was only one kitten makes me think maybe he was sick and the mother left him behind because of that? I feel so bad for him. :(

I've never seen a kitten that size pee before but the volume looked too much for a kitten. It was like half an espresso cup urine x2. I would guess the kitten to be 4-7 weeks old.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wasn't thinking so much that the kitten peed, but rather another one of the cats in response to the kitten's death or the reaction of other cats that came across the kitten. Just a wild guess.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't thinking so much that the kitten peed, but rather another one of the cats in response to the kitten's death or the reaction of other cats that came across the kitten. Just a wild guess.
Oh sorry I misunderstood. The first pee puddle definitely happened before the kitten passed. I was still hearing the kitten afterward. I thought the sound was coming from my neighbor as he took him in, I didn't know they brought him down back. :-(

I've never seen one of the resident strays pee to mark territory but I have heard on TCS sometimes cats react differently to kittens than they would to adult cats so... dunno. :dunno:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Did you ever figure out what was going on? Any more 'puddles'?
Hi there. There was no other puddle that I have seen. I checked everywhere in the condo the next two days in case one of the cats was sick and hiding but I haven’t seen anything abnormal. So the mystery remains.

as an interesting note though, in Istanbul male cats seem to have territorial fights right this season and mating calls between December-March the most. All the regular female cats in the condo are spayed but they go after them since there is no “unspayed option.” I’m curious if when they saw a kitten they took it as “a non-spayed female cat around” and peed to leave scent. It seems unlikely but... I mean the puddles right when a kitten showed up were an interesting coincidence.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Very interesting - and weird - indeed; but, you could be on to something about the male cats with the kitten, albeit unlikely as you said.
And, so yes, the mystery remains. :headscratch: Just thought I would ask in case you found something out!!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very interesting - and weird - indeed; but, you could be on to something about the male cats with the kitten, albeit unlikely as you said.
And, so yes, the mystery remains. :headscratch: Just thought I would ask in case you found something out!!
Thank you! I will update if there’s an update 🕵️‍♀️