One Of My Cats Is Puking In The Middle Of The Night Regularly

catbattle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I work from home so I get to see my two cats all day.

During the daytime, everything is fine. I feed them twice a day, strictly wet food. Both cats use the litter box throughout the day.

However, over the past week or so, every time I wake up in the morning, I find that one of my two cats has puked somewhere. I have no idea which cat is doing it or why it's always during the night.

Do I need to take my cats to the vet? Is this a normal / common phenomenon? What's the usual explanation?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Do you leave food out for them overnight?

Do you think it could be a hairball?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try giving a little snack before bed. My cat used to vomit because he was going too many hours without food between dinner and breakfast. If you think it's a hairball, then hairball treats or paste two or three times a week might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catbattle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you leave food out for them overnight?

Do you think it could be a hairball?
I don't leave extra food out overnight but in theory they could go back and try to eat whatever's left in the bowl they didn't finish from the normal day.

Hairball, I think this morning it was. But last few nights, definitely puke.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats who overgroom,like one of mine, seem to puke up more hairballs at an excelerated pace, when the weather changes! Make sure there is no change in food or litter also. Get them on a good brushing schedule! Since Fresh Step added febreeze, I also went to their ultra no Fragrance or Dyes formulas. Is the cat throwing up just hair or food too? If she is trying to throw up hair, Vets Best hairball relief formula from Amazon works great to unplug the hair! It’s a tasty tab that cats eat like a treat! It’s cheap too! I had to stop dry food, now it’s wet grain free only, and puking stopped except for season changes!

Last edited:

catbattle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's really hard for me to tell. I think it's mostly been puke/food, but this morning I believe it was a hairball.

catbattle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did forget to mention, I am finding poo in random places all the time now. Just small bits, but enough to be annoying.

I think I know which cat it is (she's been tooting more lately and generally acting funny), other one is just... super happy and hyper all the time but I don't think has ever puked or dragged poo anywhere.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Peaches occasionally throws up her food in the morning when her tummy is the most sensitive and she hasn't eaten in a long time. I would feed them twice a day but because of her 3x a day. Doesn't eat much in the morning. Also helps that she doesn't eat on the same placemat as my other cat. Dish the canned food in pieces spread out. She also eats canned only. I watch her eat. When she slows down or just licking the food take it away. This problem started when she was adult.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Duchess pukes if she goes too long without food. So i feed them a late dinner.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did forget to mention, I am finding poo in random places all the time now. Just small bits, but enough to be annoying.

I think I know which cat it is (she's been tooting more lately and generally acting funny), other one is just... super happy and hyper all the time but I don't think has ever puked or dragged poo anywhere.
If the cat is puking and pooping in strange places at the same time, it could be constipation.