One Eye Watering Only During Wet Food

zwoehrmann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted two kittens (a boy and a girl) from the same litter about two months ago. We continued them on the wet food that the foster family had been giving them and had no problems. Just a couple of days ago, the boy's right eye started watering after eating wet food. We've monitored him eating dry food and drinking water, and it definitely only happens with the wet food. He has no other symptoms, and the liquid coming out is clear. The thing we don't understand is why it would start now. They've been on the same food for four months and have been in our apartment for two months. We haven't changed anything in the feeding routine and also his sister doesn't have any symptoms. Thanks so much for your help!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Best to get the vet's advice. Your kitten'e eye may have an infection, an allergy or conjunctivitis.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He could have received a small scratch. Maybe it's the way he chews or eats wet food that cause this watering. As long as the drainage is clear it is fine and no antibiotics will be effective. If it gets worse, spreads to the other eye, or turns cloudy, then call your vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know it sounds weird, but could he be 'splashing' his one eye with some of the wet food? Feeby is a bit of a messy canned food eater, I find little bits of it outside of her bowl and sometimes in her hair/paws.

It might also be from a change in dish soap, detergents, floor cleaners, etc. So, take a look at those possibilities as well. Something like dish soap residue in a bowl would be picked up more easily with wet food, and might actually be diluted enough not to bother him when it happens with a bowl of water.

I would watch him closely, and as said above, if the discharge changes to white, green, or anything in between - or spreads to the other eye - get him into the vet. Also, wipe the watering away from his eye any time you find some.

Kgraham1511

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely watch for major discharge.

I know that at times only one eye will become dry and cats will only blink with one eye to lubricate it.

Also watch for it to be reshot or glassy.

Would definitely go to vet to see if there is serious problem after a few days.