One Crazy (actually, Cunning) Squirrel!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Several years ago, I put up a bird feeder in the back yard so that Feeby and I could watch all the birds – from cardinals, titmice, blue jays, woodpeckers, even mourning doves, as well as a few others that migrate south for the winters.

Long story long: I now have two bird feeders, one for the larger birds like the mourning doves and woodpeckers, and a smaller one for the rest. I also have 5 squirrel feeders – and I am sure you all know why…

Despite providing the squirrels with food that includes bird food as well, they would continually get on the bird feeders anyway. So, I went through numerous squirrel baffle concoctions to find ones that would keep the squirrels off the bird feeders. Finally, a couple of years ago, I found the right combination! Not a single squirrel was able to foil these squirrel baffles. The birds, squirrels, Feeby, and I were all living a nice peaceful life together. That is, until about a month ago.

A new squirrel is “in town”, and she can easily jump from a tree branch and land on the larger bird feeder. She is the only one that has ever been successful – others before her have tried, failed, and given up (so far anyway). At first, when she started this, I would take the feeder down to deter her, and then put it back up a little later when I thought she had left. Well, she figured that one out too! She actually acted like she was leaving the yard, and then would sneakily come back from a different direction. So, after a week or so, I gave up and just let her eat from the bird feeder.

Now, she is here daily and eats from the bird feeder for about 20 minutes and then she is gone until the next day. She comes nearly like clockwork. And, until yesterday she never showed up on Sundays. My husband said she came this Sunday because she is all mixed up due to the change from daylight savings time! Lol

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went looking for some of the videos on squirrel launching I watched a few years ago and found a better one. And yes, some people created devices for launching squirrels that were trying to invade the bird feeders. A lot of them were based on the spring arms that are made for launching shotgun targets, skeet shooting. Anyway this one video is hysterical and I really love the slow motion stuff at the end.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anyway this one video is hysterical and I really love the slow motion stuff at the end.
You DO know that this particular type of squirrel deterrent is more for the humans' entertainment than for preventing squirrels from eating the food, right?? :D As long as they get at least some of it, they will come back for more, to be sure!! They're like the old commercials for Timex, 'they take a licking and keep on ticking'. Or, in this case, 'comes back for more eating, despite the beating'.

Here are the set ups I have that work for every darn squirrel but this newest conniver. You can see I have a double baffle on the bigger one, and it is far enough away from the nearest tree branch that none of them (except her) will even try to jump the space. The little feeder has a large dome over it that is bigger than the size of any squirrel (so far, anyway), so they just fall off of it if they try to get around it.

20181106_153314.jpg
20181106_153258.jpg

Last edited:

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For me the one sure fire thing that has worked for squirrels is cats that like hunting. I have a lot of trees and live only 1/3 mile from the Missouri which is heavily wooded. I know the squirrels are out there, I have seen them, but on my few acres there are none. I wasn't positive my cats were playing an active role in that until one day I found that a squirrel had actually come to visit and stayed for dinner. Four feet and a tail was all that was left. So I have no squirrels.
But, looking at your pictures I think I might have thought of a new use for those left over TV dishes.
Does Rocky the flying squirrel have a moose friend standing by in the bushes?

Rocky the Flying Squirrel - Wikipedia

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wasn't positive my cats were playing an active role in that until one day I found that a squirrel had actually come to visit and stayed for dinner. Four feet and a tail was all that was left. So I have no squirrels.
Ha, ha! Haven't seen a moose yet (do they even live in urban Central Florida??)

There is NOT one cat that can get this crew. I have neighbors who have outdoor cats that have tried, even strays, and NOPE - the squirrels outfox them every time. The squirrels will also chase away pretty good sized hawks. That's the life here in my area of Florida!