One claw is visible

Tootsiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just noticed yesterday as I was sitting next to my little panther that I could visibly see his claw. The pictures are from today but yesterday when I noticed it did have a bit of crust around it that was dark mixed with some litter. I’ve seen him bite his nails here and there when they aren’t trimmed but didn’t think much of it besides him just grooming. Anyone know if this is normal or if It’s a matter of seeing a vet?

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It might be in need of trimming, but if that does not do the trick you should probably contact the vet to see if something else is preventing it from retracting. In an older feral I have seen nails grow too long and curve into the bed, but yours does not appear to be doing that at this time.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As cats age some of them lose their ability to retract their claws, but I would think they would need to be pretty old as I've never witnessed this in any of my cats even 16 + years old. another reason for non-retracting claws can be pulled tendons or ligaments, which could result from them getting the claw stuck on something and pulling really hard to get lose. An infection in the claw area could also do it. Could be so many things, but if it doesn't "fix" itself sooner than later, it might be time to have a Vet take a look at it.