One alpha and one gamma

paul n steve

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two cats- Steve is the alpha male and Paul is the gamma male. They are both neutered. They are absolutely spoiled, loved and cared for with the upmost respect and honor. They get along fine, since they've been together since they were kittens.  I treat them like children! (Probably better than children considering I don't have any children yet)

The thing is, Steve is slightly bigger (12 pounds) than Paul (9-10 pounds) and he is the alpha, so he kinda runs the show. He growls a lot if he's upset, and he hisses a lot even though he's not doing it to be aggressive or doing it because he's even threatened. He just seems to like to hiss, and gets over it quickly. He will hiss at my mom if she's getting treats for the cats and putting the wet food on plates, he will hiss at her and this in turn upsets my mom, who then scowls at him and he then doesn't get his share of treats. 

This upsets me at times, when I try to play mousey fetch with Paul, he'll play with me up until Steve comes near and then he drops the mouse and kinda looks at Steve like, "Is it okay if I play still?"  And other times, such as if Paul is laying with me on my bed all snuggly and Steve jumps up, he'll kinda nip at Pauls fur as if he was saying, "Move!" I always nudge Steve away if he does this. But then Steve seems like he gets huffy (and actually will let out a huff of air letting me know he's rather upset about the situation) and go slink away in another favorite spot of theirs.

I have two food bowls out, one is meant for Paul, and one is meant for Steve. They share a water dish. Paul prefers fresh running faucet water, and will ask for it by his 'i want water' meow. Is it okay for me to shoo Steve away from 'Paul's' food bowl? Will he learn that isn't his food bowl and he has his own? 

And, I do leave the dry food out all day. I'm at work usually until 5. They don't eat it all up right away, but I have heard that a cats stomach needs breaks and time to digest the food they eat. It's kinda like, wake up, play, eat, sleep, play, eat, sleep, play, eat, sleep- ect pattern. I am wondering if I should put food out only in the morning for them to eat, and then put it away during the day, and then when I get home put more out for them to eat. I feed them both dry food and canned wet food. 

As for toys, I have strings, strings with mouse tied to the end, balls, mice, crumply loud balls with bells, a little scratching post with a poofy ball on top, crumpled up pieces of paper, (Paul loves these, he'll bat them around like a professional soccer player) 

They have their favorite spots too- Paul loves his box. (It's a big box our microwave came in) I put blankets upon blankets to make it comfy and warm inside for him. Steve likes to be near me most of the time, but he does like to lay up high on the dresser table, so I have a little warm bed up there for him. They each take turns on their favorite chair, too.

Paul & Steve                                                                Steve & Paul                                                    Steve & Mommy

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are handling it well. Steve is a bit of a bully but it sounds like he sees you as the alpha (but not your mom). Paul seems okay with the hierarchy so no worries. Cats take this alpha stuff as natural way of things. If there is something wrong, it will show when there's a sudden change in behavior, appetite, use of the box. 

My cats are fed cooked and raw food. I only give kibble as a treat. So actually, I can't back you about free feeding dry without going into a sermon. 

As for the food bowls, I am not sure if they can tell which one belongs to whom. It's more like what is in the bowl and who has the right to eat it or if okay to share it. So when you tell Steve to leave Paul alone when they are eating you are actually making sure Paul eats his meal. 

You are a wonderful mommy to Steve and Paul and they are a very handsome pair. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paul n steve

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!  I have been wanting to slowly wean them off the dry food. I've heard so many 'not good' things about dry food. I wonder what the best brand of canned food is? And, would it be a good idea to maybe NOT leave the food bowl out all day long? I would like to get them into a routine of eating in the morning and in the evening, maybe both dry & wet foods. I really wish dry food was made healthier with more animal protein. It's ridiculous the way these companies add all that crap in order to save money and make money. Ughs.