Once Food Obsessed Cat Refusing To Eat And New Kitten

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello all! I've had my Lucky for 9 years and he chose me as his human. He grew up in a home with other cats and dogs and never minded the company. I recently moved him in with me with my boyfriend and I and it's been almost a year and he's loved it. Lucky had to adjust to a new home for the first time in his life and my boyfriend's cat which was tough but just took a couple weeks. Unfortunately my boyfriend's cat got sick and died within a couple months of a very fast cancer.

Lucky has been the only animal in his life for the first time in 9 years and always has LOVED his food. Vets always call him Garfield. He's a few lbs over weight. He became so food obsessed I'd have to plan his meals every 6 hours making them small of course and counting calories but all he'd do is meow at us and bite when he was hungry.

The last few weeks though (before the kitten I'll get to that soon) he hasn't wanted food. For some reason. We got him this salmon oil to pour over his food once a day he seemed to like it then wanted nothing to do with it so we stopped pouring it over and he still doesn't want his favorite kibble. I've tried many different foods but he was meh.

Forward to the kitten. She's a foster and very playful. Lucky seems to not like her at all as he's completely stopped eating for a few days now and won't even sleep at the foot of my bed anymore. I can't bribe him with wet food because he has ALWAYS puked it up! He doesn't hiss or swat at her mainly tries to avoid her. I show him his food bowl and he looks interested for a second then sees the bowl and is like no. I've changed bowls. I really don't know what to do.

Lucky has a vet appt monday but all they've ever said is HA HA cats like to puke don't they weird things they are! Like wtf?
I'm taking him to a cat only vet so maybe this will be more thorough. They got amazing reviews I'm just worried sick

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. I'm sorry your Lucky isn't feeling well. Since he stopped wanting food, even before the new kitten, I'm not sure it's stress-related due to the new kitten's presence.

If he hasn't eaten anything for a few days, or has thrown up everything he's eaten, I would not wait till your Monday appointment, but would call the vet today and let them know.

Per the below TCS article, cats can quickly become very ill if they don't get enough calories. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about, but best to err on the side of caution.

Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. How are things in the litterbox, is he peeing okay? I would be worried about maybe a UTI if he's a male cat on an all dry food diet. There must be a canned food that he can eat. What brands have you tried?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. How are things in the litterbox, is he peeing okay? I would be worried about maybe a UTI if he's a male cat on an all dry food diet. There must be a canned food that he can eat. What brands have you tried?
I've tried almost 20 kinds of wet food they all resulted in him throwing it up it seems as he's digesting it since it's several hours after. He drinks water and pees he has huge pee clumps in there

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. I'm sorry your Lucky isn't feeling well. Since he stopped wanting food, even before the new kitten, I'm not sure it's stress-related due to the new kitten's presence.

If he hasn't eaten anything for a few days, or has thrown up everything he's eaten, I would not wait till your Monday appointment, but would call the vet today and let them know.

Per the below TCS article, cats can quickly become very ill if they don't get enough calories. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about, but best to err on the side of caution.

Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous?
Thank you he now has an appt tonight. I guess he ate treats my boyfriend gave him this morning.
He didn't necessarily stop wanting it but he definitely started leaving food in his bowl which is insane to me. This has been going a month or so I was like hmm that's weird.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something must be wrong with his digestion because canned food should be good for him. What about hairballs? Do you think that could be the problem?

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It has to be! He's done this his whole life and no vet batted an eye. He's never thrown up a hairball that I've seen. It's either clear like spit throw up, bright neon yellow or brown from the food he tried digesting

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's a hairball that he can't get up? Or some kind of obstruction.

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I took him in and his alt liver enzymes were about 10 too high they said very mild but test for pancreatitis

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They asked if he'd been throwing up I said yes that previous night before he came in and stuff he also puked on the kittens bag of food in thinking it's intentional. They said vomiting could cause the enzymes to be slightly over

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any way they could check for an obstruction? It might be expensive though...

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They offered an xray and blood work but I only did blood

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They're 180. I will if I have to. Honestly freaked out he's my 3rd cat and none of mine have lived past 9 and he's 9 and I'm just so upset worried

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He also gained 2 lbs in 6 months too. Maybe my feeding has caused his liver to be weird. Hrs been overweight his whole life and I haven't been as strict with his food since his kitty friend died months back. Was counting calories for his weight to loose it and he gained weight some how

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My last cat got elevated liver enzymes like my cat just barely over a year before he died so as you can guess I'm on edge. That cats enzymes went to 800 a year later. I'm hoping this won't be the same thing

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about hairball treats or paste, have you ever tried those? I know when my cat has a hairball, she throws up all her wet food until she gets it up.

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about hairball treats or paste, have you ever tried those? I know when my cat has a hairball, she throws up all her wet food until she gets it up.
I have those treats I'll see if he can eat them. He only eats treats right now. I'm getting rid of my foster kitten Monday I really hope this is the issue

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't mean to say get rid that sounds mean she's getting spayed and adopted

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, give the hairball treats a try today. It can't hurt. I hope it works.